Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 8, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1
daz

Default May 2010 Monthly Challenge

There is more then one way to show motion so I think we can do it again.

Freeze motion: Things with no visible support

Like balls in the air or people running but off the ground.

Usual rules - Taken with Pentax or Samsung in the past 90 days, no longer than 800 pixels on the long end. One image per person.

DAZ

Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2010, 9:41 PM   #2

I hate to use a picture from an event for two challenges in a row, but its just too perfect for the "Freeze."
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 12:24 AM   #3

Yep - a perfect picture for stop-action. Now I'll have to completely change gears - last month I was playing around with long shutter speeds (the run-away sneaker for one) - now I have to go to the opposite side of things. I may post one of my recent surf photos until I get a chance to take something else.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
daz

[QUOTE=mtngal;1091283 Now I'll have to completely change gears - last month I was playing around with long shutter speeds (the run-away sneaker for one) - now I have to go to the opposite side of things. I may post one of my recent surf photos until I get a chance to take something else.[/QUOTE]

Isnít it interesting how almost the same thing can be almost the opposite.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
Old May 13, 2010, 3:07 PM   #5

I doubt this will be my entry for the month (it does serve the purpose of bumping this back up to the first page !) although I do like the blur it wasn't quite what I was aiming for

This is from the World Expo - a Malinese dancer, it was a great show !

MF / Tamron 70-300 / ISO 1,600, F5-0 and (the killer) 1/20 hand held, no flash.

I was actually trying to get the other two male dancers whose bodies were keeping relatively still but their feet were going amazingly fast = great motion shot for this thread ? Shame I couldn't pull that one off, c'est la vie.
Attached Images

Last edited by Frogfish; May 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 3:01 PM   #6
daz

The weather improved around here so I decided I had better work on this months challenge. I did not know what to shoot but I decided to go to the people zoo (Gasworks park in Seattle) as you can always find someone doing something there to photograph. It did not disappoint.

Now my problem is I have to sort thru them to find the photo for this month. This one jumped out so I will post it but when I have more time to look at them I will probably find one I like better to use instead.

DAZ
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2010, 9:47 AM   #7

My wife and I are watching this little guy while his folks take a much needed weekend off. He's in a jump-up contraption and I had my DL with the kit lens on the floor with automatic flash. The room in the background was fairly dark, but you could see enough to make it bothersome, so I darkened it even more in GIMP.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 1:43 PM   #8

Daz - I could have sworn I had posted how much I liked your picture, but apparently not. So here's the correction - that's some stop action!

Glenn - your baby is priceless!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 4:32 PM   #9
daz

Glenn Ė The look on your baby reminds me of a kitten the first time you pick it up. It is not know what it is doing so far up an not sure it likes it!

Mtngal Ė Thanks. Iíve gone through the photos I took that day and have one I like better. It is on my other computer and I will pull this one and use the new photo when I get the chance.

DAZ
Old May 29, 2010, 10:11 AM   #10

Hmmm, almost the end of the month and looking through my photos I realise that I've not been taking many recently; apart from the 800+ I took in France earlier this month, which just need some PP. But I don't recall any that fit the bill. Still there's always this weekend.

But in the meantime - BUMP!

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote