Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 9, 2010, 7:41 AM   #1

Default Fashion shots-Toronto May 8

It was actually snowing this weekend (May 8) after 2 weeks of balmy weather. Nothing beats shooting catwalk when we have wave and wave of modelas all dressed up coming at you to be photographed. All free in Toronto.
It was supposed to be for fashion as to which I have zippo knowledge. So treat this as a portrait exercise.

Harriet should chime in if there is anything interesting fashion-wise.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2010, 7:42 AM   #2

2nd batch

Old May 9, 2010, 7:55 AM   #3

Fantastic shots as always!

What was the setup you used? Must be a nightmare with the variable lighting, reflections, movement, etc. These shots are pin-sharp, so keen to know what you used.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 8:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Fantastic shots as always!

What was the setup you used? Must be a nightmare with the variable lighting, reflections, movement, etc. These shots are pin-sharp, so keen to know what you used.

Thanks. I did not do much. All done with direct pointing fill flash.
I was shooting around 15-20 feet away only.
All were done with 200mm wide open at F2.8. If you look carefully all have flashing shadow with no exception. But the flash shadow have been blended in with the background to a considerable extent. As a bird shooter, I always wait for the subject to stop and I fire within a split second
Another way is to shoot with shorter lens like 50-77mm in which case subject movement (always too fast) would have been problem. I am just not used to shorter lens

Daniel
Old May 9, 2010, 10:09 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice series..the 200mm seems to be giving you good ability to creat OOF backgrounds. Your WB seems a bit inconsistent...have you tried using a manual WB tool such as Expodisc? I've found that the auto or pre-set WB modes on the Pentax yields inconsistent results.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 11:01 AM   #6

Fashion? Well, I'm the wrong person to ask, I think I vaguely remember buying a dress sometime in the past 5 years or so. I might have 2 in my closet, though the second one was probably bought something like 15 years ago and I'm not positive it's still pushed in the far back. Give me an LL Bean catalog and an REI store, anything else I might find in a factory store on sale.

It does look like the lighting was very difficult - it shows more in this set than your usual pictures. Also the one of the two models in white dresses, the white in one of them blew out. The rest of the white dresses are really good, there's lots of texture with the others. And is shocking pink really getting shown again? Oh well - I can always just not buy clothes for a year or two if those super shocking colors come back into style.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 5:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Nice series..the 200mm seems to be giving you good ability to creat OOF backgrounds. Your WB seems a bit inconsistent...have you tried using a manual WB tool such as Expodisc? I've found that the auto or pre-set WB modes on the Pentax yields inconsistent results.
Thanks. The lighting conditions changed every couple of second. I am lazy and I know shooting raw may be a better solution. I need to work on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
It does look like the lighting was very difficult - it shows more in this set than your usual pictures. Also the one of the two models in white dresses, the white in one of them blew out. The rest of the white dresses are really good, there's lots of texture with the others. And is shocking pink really getting shown again? Oh well - I can always just not buy clothes for a year or two if those super shocking colors come back into style.
Harriet
Thanks for chiming in. To me they are all white on white. And they look pricey too likely more pricey than lenses

Daniel
Old May 9, 2010, 6:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
Thanks. I did not do much. All done with direct pointing fill flash.
I was shooting around 15-20 feet away only.
All were done with 200mm wide open at F2.8. If you look carefully all have flashing shadow with no exception. But the flash shadow have been blended in with the background to a considerable extent. As a bird shooter, I always wait for the subject to stop and I fire within a split second
Another way is to shoot with shorter lens like 50-77mm in which case subject movement (always too fast) would have been problem. I am just not used to shorter lens

Daniel
Thanks for the info!

Don't sell yourself short mate, I can't even get a good photo of my kid at his school plays...
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 8:53 AM   #9

Daniel, great shots. White balance must be a real nightmare at events like this.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old May 10, 2010, 5:47 PM   #10

Nice job, Daniel.
I think you're having too much fun lately.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote