Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 9, 2010, 9:09 PM   #1

Default Toronto Zoo on Mother's Day

This adventure was my wife's idea, but it was fun anyway. For those that don't know, we've been getting milder than normal weather up here in the western NY area, but yesterday and today it got down close to freezing. Even had a few flurries to really round things out. But we still made our way up to Toronto today for a visit to the zoo. Despite the cold weather and a lot of the animals off display because of it, we still had a fun time and I got some nice shots. Here are a few that I liked the best.

Playful Orangutan

Cold Stare

On Display

How do you like this dental work?

and the wildest animals of all:

If you are interested in viewing the rest of the photos from today, you can see them here.

Thanks you for looking.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2010, 9:11 PM   #2

Very fun series, love the big cat yarning
Old May 9, 2010, 9:47 PM   #3

Nice series! I heard how cold it was up north, they were talking snow in Montreal during the Penguins/Canadiens game. I love the peacock - beautiful birds. They never show their tails whenever I've seen them, unfortunately.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 2:29 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I would happily have had something a bit cooler, it was over 102 degrees yesterday here!!!

I like the peacock best out of the bunch. The Orangutan just looks like he is saying, please let me go back home to where the weather is better.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 3:00 AM   #5

Great shots!

I love big cats, so the tiger and cheetah get a big thumbs up from me, the orangutan is excellent as well!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 6:17 AM   #6

Love all of these - great series Mike !

The only C&C I'd make is that personally I would have cropped the green poles out of the Orangutan shot.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 7:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Very fun series, love the big cat yarning
That's one of those things I like to try and capture at the zoo but the cats are usually laying around sleeping all the time. This one was very cooperative. Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Nice series! I heard how cold it was up north, they were talking snow in Montreal during the Penguins/Canadiens game. I love the peacock - beautiful birds. They never show their tails whenever I've seen them, unfortunately.
We knew it was going to be cooler yesterday, my wife actually wanted to do this zoo in the cooler weather because it's a lot of walking. Her and I were both hauling wagons and the trek to the canadian exhibit is down a fairly steep hill... no so bad until you have to come back out. So it being cooler kept us from sweating our backsides off coming back up the hill... We walked about 5 miles in all. Thank you for viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I would happily have had something a bit cooler, it was over 102 degrees yesterday here!!!

I like the peacock best out of the bunch. The Orangutan just looks like he is saying, please let me go back home to where the weather is better.
Like mtngal, I've never had much luck with the peacocks at the zoos displaying for me, but this one was more than happy to fan his tail out for everyone who came by. I'm really happy with how it turned out. That little orangutan was having a ball playing with that tarp, I had to wait him out to take it off his head. Thanks for viewing Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Great shots!

I love big cats, so the tiger and cheetah get a big thumbs up from me, the orangutan is excellent as well!
I was actually quite pleased to see the Tigers and Cheetahs active yesterday and took advantage of it as best I could. I'm really happy about catching that cheetah yawning and showing me those nippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Love all of these - great series Mike !

The only C&C I'd make is that personally I would have cropped the green poles out of the Orangutan shot.
Thank you for the comments. I had left those in as kind of an environmental thing to add to the feel of the scene, maybe I wasn't hitting it. Haha. You think this works better for the orangutan?

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 8:47 AM   #8

That looks much better but, personally, I'd take a little more off and have the head close to the 1st cross-section of the rule of thirds (converted to 8x10 which is the size I usually print at).

I love that photo by the way ...... he / she has an expression of " oh oh rumbled .... I'm for it now" !!
Attached Images

Last edited by Frogfish; May 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 8:51 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Love them all Mike...Great expressions on all of the animals, and great lighting. You have inspired me to go to the zoo now!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 12:47 PM   #10

All good, but that tiger is outstanding. I can't quite read his expression to tell what he is thinking, but whatever it is, is isn't good!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote