Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 9, 2010, 11:19 PM   #1

Default Which do you like better?

There's 3 pairs of pictures that I've processed, the first one of the frames of a set and the second an HDR picture made up of 5 frames. I'm curious which of the pair you prefer and why.

First two:

#2 HDR:

Second pair:

#4 HDR:

I should have used a bigger dof on this second pair. I was trying for a small dof, but it was too small and in my opinion, the slightly oof front of the whatever-it-is (block?) is distracting.

Third pair:

#6 HDR:

All of this was taken in natural lighting. I'm not entirely sure that I prefer seeing all of the details in the shadows. For some reason, I rather like #5 though the dirt on the metal is almost blown out. I thought the extreme contrast seemed to fit the subject better. But perhaps I'm way off base on this.

I'm no mechanic - is this the block, part of it, or something entirely different? I think whatever it is belongs to an inline 6 cylinder engine.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2010, 12:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I thought the extreme contrast seemed to fit the subject better..
Spontaneously I felt the same. Maybe the last one would benefit from a midway, bringing out a little more detail in the shadows but not as much as in your HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm no mechanic - is this the block, part of it, or something entirely different? I think whatever it is belongs to an inline 6 cylinder engine.
I'm not sure about the correct English wording, but to me it looks like the head of a 6 cylinder engine. I guess BigDawg, Roy or someone else will chime in and tell you what brand, manufacturing year, serial number and the name of the guy on the assembly line who mounted it on the engine!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 2:36 AM   #3

After going through them a number of times I think I prefer the HDR versions - I like detail and you can see a lot of it in the HDR shots. However, it does depend on what the purpose of the shot is meant to be ..... if you are trying to highlight a particular aspect of the block / show all the detail / or just being artistic with the lighting & DOF.

I think by now you know I like my photographs when they have a darker, richer more contrasty feel to them (since you are always telling me to adjust in Levels ) and that is the feeling I get in the non-HDR versions. Now that is of course a complete 180 degrees to the statement above but I think I would take the HDR versions and adjust them to my personal preference.

Off on a tangent : I am beginning to think that half the reason you think some of my shots need adjustment in Levels is because I'm viewing on a relatively new MacPro. The screen is exceptionally bright / white compared to my old laptops (Dell XPS 13xx something & a newer Acer something or other) which my wife is now using as web-surfing and emailing machines. There is a huge difference in the way photos look between the Mac & the PCs.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 3:18 AM   #4

I had the same first reaction as Kjell, the most contrasty are the ones that jumped at me, and the others looked flat.

Then when taking a closer look you see how much detail is lost in the dark area's and that's a bit of a shame.

So I combined the shots, and took 40% of the hdr, 60% of the dark what gives me (for me) the best result.

Just my 5c

Ronny
Old May 10, 2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Ronny did exactly as I was going to advise. then i scrolled down and saw he had already combined them with layers. for me that works well, adds detail without losing the lighting and contrast.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 11:10 AM   #6

Larry in Detroit 1960.....(The assembly guy.)
Old May 10, 2010, 2:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Ronny did exactly as I was going to advise. then i scrolled down and saw he had already combined them with layers. for me that works well, adds detail without losing the lighting and contrast.
I concur.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 2:57 PM   #8

Harriet, I concur with the others except on one photo.
I really like #5 as shown without the hdr.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 8:30 PM   #9

Ronny, you did a fine job combining the photos and I like your images better. I personally dislike aggressive HDR processing. To me, shadows are part of life and I don't feel every detail needs to be visible. I prefer the original shots better than the OP's HDR but Ronny's results are excellent.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 8:42 PM   #10

Very nice job with the HDR's

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote