Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 11, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Default More Macro Near-Misses

Bad two days of shooting, either the weather has been dull, and I have had to mess around with the flashgun, or the weather has been too good, and the bugs just don't want to play along. Only got these two photo's out of two days shooting, and neither are that good...

This one was massively underexposed due to the flashgun, and managed to scrape this out of the dark mess. Absolutely gutted it mis-fired as the detail in the eyes, wings, etc was looking to make it a great shot.

This fella might seem familiar, I think it's a juvenile version of the other fly photo I posted the other day, exactly the same anatomy, just a different colour. Again, the focus wasn't quite right, and didn't have any other shots to focus stack it with, but thought the detail in it's hairs was nice... not for those who hate bugs mind...

As is steadily becoming my motto now "ah well, maybe tomorrow"

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 12:45 PM   #2

They look outstanding to me, Taci!
Especially the first one. Good job!
your lens is far better than mine, at least I hope its the lens and not me.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 1:51 PM   #3

Yes I love that first one Tachi - I think by taking the shot along the length of it's body you actually end up with a far greater proportion in focus. Looks neat to me !

* takes note for next time the macro gear comes out *

I'm off to the World Expo tomorrow (I have 10 visits planned) so it's the 10-20 & 43 ltd for that !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 3:24 PM   #4

Near misses !!!!!! %You've got to be kidding.

Although I know the feeling, they could be better, they are ... when you look at them not what you wanted.

I've learned that you better wait a few days before making your mind up about how good or bad a shot looks like. For me they always seem better a few days later.

I don't see anything wrong with these

Great work

Ronny
Old May 11, 2010, 5:05 PM   #5

Thanks all!

The hoverfly I forgot to mention was taken with the DIY 2X TC extension tube as well, hence it being larger than the other bugs.

@ Goldwinger:

You crazy? I look at the shots you took of the maybug and think there's something wrong with my lens lol!

I must have taken 1.4GB of photo's to get these 2 over the last 2 days, I am both amazed at the lens' abilities, and horrified that even at f.11 the depth of field is so tiny...

@ Frog

Yeah, been trying to do this, as I said above even at f.11 the depth of field is too small for head-on shots with bugs this small. Have fun at the expo!

@ rhermans

Yeah, I think the problem is I got very lucky with the fly shot I posted the other day and tried focus stacking on, I have been trying endlessly just to reproduce that shot, and it's just a heck of a lot harder than I thought. Even with the LED ring flash and/or my flashgun, I just can't get the DOF deep enough not to have to fire in continuous mode and hope one of the shots is focussed where I want it.

I took the monopod out with me the other day and it was just too bulky to carry around, let alone connect for a quick photo opportunity.

The light is bad at the moment as the weather has taken a turn for the worse, so one minute there are clouds and not enough light (and usually windy), and the next it is searingly hot and the bugs just don't want to sit still.

Not bothered by it though, having a lot of fun (even though people are starting to stop and laugh at me...) and it's giving me the excuse to fiddle more than what I needed to do with my K10D and the Sigma 70-300. Even though the shots weren't anywhere near the same macro ratio as these, it was a lot easier due to the increased range (which at the time I was cursing).
Old May 13, 2010, 11:33 PM   #6

Wow !

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 2:44 AM   #7

Noooo, don't look at these anymore, these were before I figured out a better camera/flash setup!

Old May 14, 2010, 10:01 PM   #8

ooppss
i looked
and i have to say the first photo is really good
especially for a rescued one
i like the lighting
Old May 15, 2010, 6:46 AM   #9

Thanks Gumnut!

I suggest looking at the "Bibio Marci" thread, about half way down I uploaded more photo's from when I cracked the lighting problem.