Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2010, 9:31 AM   #1

Default Home Again!

Greetings all!!! I am back from our 3 week odyssey to Oz and NZ. We had a fantastic trip with weather to match! Both countries were absolutely beautiful, each in their own way.
I had an awful time trying to decide what lenses to bring but in the end wound up with the Tamron 18-250, the Sigma 10-20 and the Tokina 80-400. All three served me well. I did however change lenses frequently. For night shots I did bring my Feisol CT 4301 tripod.
I wound up taking a small notebook PC with a card reader and a DVD burner. I carried it all in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW. I also brought my Micro Trekker 200 and the K100 as a spare body but never used the camera. Daily I carried the Micro T 200 and left the larger bag in the Hotel. My wife also carried a small backpack and I sometimes just put the 10-20 in her bag and held the camera with the 18-250 by the hand strap.
In total I took over 4000 pictures. Each night I would come home and download to the notebook and then burn a DVD. Of the 78MB open on the computer when I left home I had 3.8 MB left at the end of the trip.
I am at the moment overwhelmed by the 19 DVDís full of photos sitting on my desk. My postings and commenting here will be sparse for the next few weeks as I sort through my images. I am thinking to take a Zenfolio membership and post some images here at Steves and then link you to Zenfolio to browse my photos at your leisure.
It was more than 30 hours door to door on the return trip and we have been sleeping a lot trying to catch up.
Here is my night shot of what I believe is the most beautiful building on the planet. The moon was full the evening of 4/28 when I took the picture but even with the 10mm lens I could not get both the building and the moon in the picture, so I took a separate shot of the moon with the Tokina and photoshopped it into the image of the Opera House. Hope you enjoy it!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2010, 11:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Hope you enjoy it!
Sure do, this is a marvellous shot, compared to anything. The Opera House in Sydney must be one of the most depicted buildings in the world, but this picture is sooooo much more. Congrats, Lou!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 11:19 AM   #3

very nice shot of the Sydney opera house. It is a icon of a building. How way your trip?
Old May 12, 2010, 12:25 PM   #4

Hi Lou,

Welcome Back!!!

I'm definitely envious of your trip. I'd consider this a 3 week photo op -- and I guess you did take advantage -- 4K shots!

A very AUSpicious preview of the photo record of your trip! Can't wait to see more. . . get busy!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 12:40 PM   #5

Gorgeous shot Lou ... and I'm sure we'll all forgive you the PS work
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 1:03 PM   #6

Great shot!

Can't wait to see more!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 1:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
The moon was full the evening of 4/28 when I took the picture but even with the 10mm lens I could not get both the building and the moon in the picture, so I took a separate shot of the moon with the Tokina and photoshopped it into the image of the Opera House. Hope you enjoy it!

Lou
Welcome home! You may have shifted the Moon's orbit a bit to get it in the shot with the building, but what the Heck - it's a great shot - one of your best.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 2:05 PM   #8

Welcome home Lou

I too am envious of your trip!!! Gorgeous shot and I look forward to seeing more

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 4:40 PM   #9

Huh... you were gone for a while?

Just kidding Lou, Beautiful shot!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 8:26 PM   #10

Kajel - Thanks. The Opera house took my breath away. night and day, inside and out it is a remarkable structure. I will be posting other views of it when I get my pictures organized. My only regret is that the Symphony was not playing as I would have given anything to hear it in that venue.

Shoturtle - Thank you. The trip was spectacular. Stay tuned when I get the rest of the pictures on a viewing sight.

Scott - This was not a photo tour but I treated it as if it were one. You will not see all my pictures at the golden hour but I tried to do the best with what I had.

Weather was great and most of the time I had sun. In NZ I did have some days with brooding skies but that is a good thing for pictures.

Frogfish - Thanks for accepting my moon insertion.

Tachikoma - Thanks, more will follow.

Penolta - Maby I should not have fessed up. I will be posting another picture of a statue taken in Wellington NZ and a daytime moon that was not PS'd but no one will believe that I did not PS the moon into place. Stay tuned.

Phil- Thanks, It was an awesome trip.

GW - I knew I could sneak away without you finding out! Thanks GW.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote