Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Default Bibio Marci - It's what's for dinner

Robber fly (Asilidae) having a snack on a male St Marks Fly (Bibio Marci)

You can't see in this shot, but the Robber Fly has actually beheaded the poor St Marks Fly. It is sat around now waiting for the digestive juices it has injected with it's disproportionately sized mouthparts to liquify the insides... yummy!

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2010, 4:54 PM   #2

Now there's a shot you won't see every day!
Good job.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 5:51 PM   #3

Thanks GW!

You know what? I walked probably 1/4 mile at lunchtime without seeing a single bug (other than the odd bumble bee that immediately takes off when you get within 50 yards) and then spotted this "happy" scene.

I know it's pretty grim, and not to everyone's taste (considering the lack of responses to the "normal" bug shots I have taken) but thought it was pretty interesting. I don't know about others, but I don't really think of predation when it comes to things like flies, so seeing it in action was quite an eye opener.

*edit*

Tomorrow I am taking my cumbersome, massive tripod with me, fed up of taking 60-70 shots and only getting 1 barely competent photo out of each subject.

Last edited by Tachikoma; May 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 7:09 PM   #4

I know your frustration, we all have the same problem when shooting Macros hand held. I think you did pretty good. Remember, one good shot makes it worth all the others.
Jut be glad you're shooting digital instead of film!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 6:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Thanks GW!

You know what? I walked probably 1/4 mile at lunchtime without seeing a single bug (other than the odd bumble bee that immediately takes off when you get within 50 yards) and then spotted this "happy" scene.

I know it's pretty grim, and not to everyone's taste (considering the lack of responses to the "normal" bug shots I have taken) but thought it was pretty interesting. I don't know about others, but I don't really think of predation when it comes to things like flies, so seeing it in action was quite an eye opener.

*edit*

Tomorrow I am taking my cumbersome, massive tripod with me, fed up of taking 60-70 shots and only getting 1 barely competent photo out of each subject.
It's a good shot Tachi - don't get depressed !

I know the feeling - bugs are just like the #26 bus ..... when you are waiting for the #39. I am on the look out for Mantids - however reading up on them I found out that they can see you coming from 60 feet away (20 metres give or take) .... I am now on EBay on the look out for army camouflage gear.

The forum has been pretty quiet recently ... I wouldn't take it as a sign people are not enjoying your shots !

I've tried shooting with the tripod ... it is a pain anywhere except in the garden.

Last edited by Frogfish; May 13, 2010 at 6:27 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 8:30 AM   #6

Thanks both!

Looking forward to you finding those mantids, absolutely gorgeous creatures, shame they aren't native to here.

I think I have cracked this low-light problem, went into full manual mode on the camera, set the flash to fire 100% and managed to get 1/100 f.8 and 1/90 f.9 shots thanks to using a different diffuser on the flashgun.

Same subjects from the last 2-3 posts, but the depth of field and detail is a lot better, dragonflies should be out in the next 2 weeks hopefully, so glad I have this figured out.

Will upload the photo's when I get home from work.
Old May 13, 2010, 9:21 AM   #7
Super Moderator

impressive macro. shows the tiniest part of nature in its rawest form.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 9:50 AM   #8

Thanks Hards!

Bit too profound a statement for my humble macro's though!

Old May 13, 2010, 12:36 PM   #9

Thought I would post the images from today here, rather than clog up the forum with another 2-photo thread.

Not brilliant, but I am in love with these diseased flower bud things.

Now this is more like what I have been trying to achieve all this time, absolutely fed up of only seeing these same 2 species of fly out and about, but glad I took the time to fiddle with the camera and flashgun, as it's a lot better than the other attempts.

Bonus 100% crop straight off the camera (above shot has been unsharp'd, levels, etc):

Old May 13, 2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Super Moderator

yes, i agree. thats what we're talking about here. that fly shot is excellent. supersharp good contrast, the flash worked well.

what lens is this?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote