Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 14, 2010, 8:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
I like that first shot a lot. Was this on an overcast day?
Actually maybe yes, Again it was autotoned from PS
but the patches on its head are grease from the underside of my car

@snowstone;

I was really interested in ideas to get out more of that lens , and also any critique regarding technique would be nice, as I am still a newbie
Attached Images

Last edited by Chesslanka; May 14, 2010 at 8:14 PM.
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 12:08 AM   #12

A brighter ambient lighting would help this and a little different composition as well. Sometimes this means moving back or forward a little or using the zoom to frame it. I like my zooms for the ability to change the composition of a photo without moving, Quite often I will shoot at different zoom settings much as you might bracket a photo with the aperture settings or the shutter speed. Just remember to cover a photo oportunity with plenty of photos as with digital photography the film and processing is free.
As to the composition I think if the head was more to the right and slightly higher it would have been a bit better to me. You almost clipped the poor guy's tongue!! LOL

Really though with a little more light these would have had a better color and the shutter speed could have been a tad faster with a higher f/stop and possibly a touch better of a capture with that better light. So in the end with the circumstance of the situation these are not bad.

The second one of the dog is very well composed and not a bad capture at all. Does your lens have a lens shade? If so always use it as it helps with the contrast and aids in avoiding lens flair. Have fun with this setup as I know you will.

By the way...that KX does very good at ISO800.
Old May 15, 2010, 4:01 AM   #13

Heres my second round of photos from the same combo

Is the macro capacity usable of this lens?
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2010, 9:43 AM   #14

For full flower shots it does very well. The color here is much much better. Seems you had a sunny day or two!! LOL Beautiful white flower and quite sharp on the focus too. I like all of these.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:14 AM   #15

I also have this lens, and find it is very similar in performance on my older *istD. The lens is quite sharp up to around 200mm, then begins to get somewhat soft at 300mm. A bit of unsharp mask can certainly help. (IIRC, I use a radius of around 1.4 and an amount of 50%- at least that is a starting place) In macro mode, the softness is gone, and I have gotten very sharp closeups.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 11:45 AM   #16

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I used to have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro (not sure if it is the same lens you are using) and got decent results up to about 280mm and at apertures smaller than f/4. While it cannot compare to lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8, for the price I found it to be a good value.

The shots of the dog look pretty good. The one of the half eaten mango(?) looks like the camera focused on the leaves. The images of the kids are precious!

I got best results when shooting this lens on a tripod with a remote shutter release.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 12:08 PM   #17

@bigdawg...nope, still overcast, Its raing these days in SL

@brian .. I try to keep it at 200mm, but its currently my only lense for birding, so cant help it

@jelpee ... lot of handshake in that mango shot, I'm glad it turned out at least partially well ...Its a heavy lens ....
Old May 15, 2010, 12:34 PM   #18

For your portraits maybe you could consider :

Background - see the shots of both your dog and those 3 lovely children. You could choose somewhere more attractive if possible.

DOF : again see the same shots. Subject sharp and background OOF usually produces a more pleasing & compelling shot than with the background in focus too (unless it is part of the story).

IMO you got it spot on with the shot of the pretty young girl as far as background and DoF are concerned, (though her eyes shouldn't be in shadow so you could either change her position or use a diffused flash.

Sometimes you can't control the background to any great degree but if you can then try to get colours or an object that compliments your subject.

Good luck and post more !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:34 PM   #19

Here is one of mine with the Kx and Sigma 100-300. Taken at 300mm

And another at a similar setting
Comments are welcome

This was taken at Bempton Cliffs, East Yorkshire. Lighting was fine at the time. Setting 300 mm, ISO 200, ss1/800.
Image was a little over exposed but slight adjustments were made by FastStone.

Last edited by scottaslef; Sep 24, 2010 at 7:15 AM.
scottaslef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:15 PM   #20

I think the lens looks pretty darn good, with a bit of smart sharpen in PS it'd wipe some of the softness away. I do think they were a bit over exposed however, the highlights look blown to me and somewhat recovered but it makes blotchy spots appear

Nice compositions, perhaps it was due to difficult lighting, enjoy the sigma !

edit: over exposure Im speaking about is in the frist three shots, the rest look much improved
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote