Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:17 AM   #21

I do not claim expertise but I have looked at ALOT of photos over the years. The Dog pics are photographs that required you to think about them. Especialy the second one lying on the concrete, which by the way is a very nice shot. The yellow leaf shot on the other hand is just a snapshot. Maybe you were just making an example shot to see how the lens handled being fully zoomed. I guess what I am driving at is the fact that with the snpshot of the leaf we might be more likely to comment on the focus of the lens or it's contrast or what ever. But in the dog photos we are moved to comment on the image , NOT the lens. The following is only my opinion as was the previous (lol). A so so photographer with a great camera and lens will produce some great photos but mainly so so ones. A great photographer with a so so camera and lens will produce many more great photos than the so so photographer with the great camera. And a great photographer with a great camera and lens will produce nothing but great photos............because he deletes the the so so ones and never lets us see them!!!!! LOL LOL
I too long for geat lenses but at this point in my journey cant afford them. But I occaisionly make a nice image with the camera and lenses that I have. I am not a great photographer but steadily I am inching closer to that mark. I believe that as in life photography is about the journey .....not the destination!
Below are three photos , 2 are my niece and one is my boy (in the middle) and his two cousins from a camping trip in indiana. The shots of my niece are nice. Are they pro level? No. But......her mama will love them when I get them printed for her! The shot of my boy is better than some photography I have paid for in the past. Is it national slick page magazine quality? Not likely........but his grandma and the cousins mama will love it! The real point is that I am getting better and having a ball doing it! Your dog shots are nice and like I said the second one is very nice indeed. Makes me want to sit next to him and rub his ears! And by the way when I first read in your post that you were asking for advice my initial reaction was ...uuhhhhh......about what? the shots are fine!
Attached Images

bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:19 AM   #22

Oh I forgot, these were taken with a Kx and 18-55mm kit lens
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bock1965 View Post
Oh I forgot, these were taken with a Kx and 18-55mm kit lens
No offence bud, but the thread was about the compatibility of the Kx and Sigma long lenses.
Nice images though. They have a vitality and a freshness about them.
BTW I'm new to this too

Richard
scottaslef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:04 AM   #24

Richard, no offense taken! I think that even though I did not use the words "compatibility of the Kx and Sigma long lenses" I was implying that of course the two are compatible. I know that there are some lenses that work better on some cameras and thus make it less of an effort to make good photos. I know that the lens I used was mated specificly to the camera I used but kit lenses are often sited as being only so so in quality. The point of posting my images was to show that even what some consider to be so so lenses or lens camera combos can be used to make nice photos. More over My point was that we all get too hung up on the quality of our equipment sometimes........
Thanks for the nice comment on my images!