Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 15, 2010, 6:43 AM   #1

Default Garden Macro's - No Fly Special!

Thought I would try the DIY extension tube on the Tamron 90mm Di LD, works really well, but makes it so much harder.

This wee fella was about 1.5/2mm across, absolutely tiny, he decided to go for a walk and spotted a twig, and wondered what the view was like from the top.

He got about half way and seemed to have second thoughts, wondering if this was such a good idea. He looked down, took a deep breath (as far as a beetle can take a deep breath) and stormed on.

His resolve knew no limits, he positively charged towards his goal!

Victory! he looked over the world with pride, and a sense of accomplishment... then carefully crawled back down and vanished underneath a dead leaf...
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2010, 7:38 AM   #2

Very nicely done......I always find extension tubes a real challenge with which to shoot. You've handled the difficulties well.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 8:34 AM   #3

Thanks Paul!

Yeah the tubes threw me briefly, was quite a struggle to get things working how I wanted them. These photo's aren't that great, but I was impressed that I could get a photo of this beetle, you could barely see it with your naked eye. Every time I lost it, I had to scan around with the camera to try to find him again.

My neighbours must have wondered what the heck I was doing in the garden again, sat on the patio holding my camera inside a flower planter
Old May 15, 2010, 5:10 PM   #4

I thought the extension tube I have was very difficult to focus until I tried to focus with a reversed 50 in front of my macro lens set at 1:1. Then the extension tube seemed downright easy.

Your pictures are very good, looks like your getting it sorted out. Your keeper rate with this type of photography isn't going to be very high, even when you get comfortable/good at it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 6:31 PM   #5

Wait... what?

A reversed 50mm lens in front of a macro lens?

I have a reverse ring on order, just the usual Hong Kong hit/miss rate with regards to it actually showing up, it's already 4 weeks late, but I have been promised it is in the post

Thanks mtngal, yeah, the keeper rate is low, but I am used to that by now, I can't manual focus for toffee as they say...
Old May 15, 2010, 8:55 PM   #6

The ring I have is essentially a male-to-male step down ring, 53mm threads on one end and 49mm threads on the other end. The dof is too tiny to use much outdoors and it would be hopeless for bugs as you are barely an inch away from the subject. I don't have a reversing ring to have the lens reversed in front of the camera. I don't have that type of ring.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 8:58 PM   #7

Good job Tachi, I know what you mean about the extension tube make it hard to focus.
When using the tripod, I would focus at wide open then stop down to where I needed to be. Pretty hard to do when hand held.

Good job and story to go with it too!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 3:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The ring I have is essentially a male-to-male step down ring, 53mm threads on one end and 49mm threads on the other end. The dof is too tiny to use much outdoors and it would be hopeless for bugs as you are barely an inch away from the subject. I don't have a reversing ring to have the lens reversed in front of the camera. I don't have that type of ring.
Yeah I can imagine, with the extension tube I have the closest focus is probably the same and about an inch from the front element.

Thanks GW!

Yeah these were all handheld, was quite a challenge, if I had any brains I would have got out my mini tripod and done the same thing!
Old May 16, 2010, 5:43 AM   #9

Great set and work with the extention tube. The first and last are my fav's.

Ronny