Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 16, 2010, 9:09 PM   #1

Default Letchworth State Park

Since I have weekends off for at least 3 months (May, June, July) I have and will be taking advantage of as much good weather... This weekend we made a trip down to Letchworth State Park ( about an hour and 1/2 away ) to see what they call the Grand Canyon of the East. Not nearly as big as the real Grand Canyon but a sight to see no less.

The Upper Falls of the Genesee River.

Middle Falls

A tiny little fall of water near the middle falls.

Lower Falls

If you want to see my other shots which include some gorge shots, you can see them here: Letchworth State Park
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2010, 9:19 PM   #2

Nice series Mike.
really like #3 for the serenity and #2 looks really powerful.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 9:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Nice series Mike.
really like #3 for the serenity and #2 looks really powerful.
Thanks GW, the middle falls, which is not really midway between the upper falls and the lower falls, is definitely the biggest falls of the three. I was happily surprised by the little stream flowing down from above the trail near the middle falls.
Old May 16, 2010, 9:31 PM   #4

Nicely done series, Mike. I'm with GW on #3.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 7:00 AM   #5

Mike, this is a really nice series, and definitely it looks like a place worth a visit. All of the shots are good, but I really like the way the shape of the sky scooped out of the mountains, and then bisected by the railroad bridge, provides such a dramatic statement of the height of the cut....outstanding composition. I would think this one might be a good candidate for a pseudo-HDR to further heighten the contrasts.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 8:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Nicely done series, Mike. I'm with GW on #3.
Thanks gjtoth, that little falling stream was a nice surprise along the trail and I think the shot came out nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Mike, this is a really nice series, and definitely it looks like a place worth a visit. All of the shots are good, but I really like the way the shape of the sky scooped out of the mountains, and then bisected by the railroad bridge, provides such a dramatic statement of the height of the cut....outstanding composition. I would think this one might be a good candidate for a pseudo-HDR to further heighten the contrasts.

Paul
Thanks Paul, I always forget about trying to shoot for HDR shots. Your right that it would have probably been good for that. I'm usually too busy keeping on eye on where the family is wandering off to and end up being a little rushed at times. I'll have to try and remember to bracket next time and see what I can come up with.
Old May 17, 2010, 8:09 PM   #7

Mike,
Finding out where you would be next was worth the wait, this is a really nice series.

I haven't been to Letchworth in many years. I think the last time I was there was when I had an Olympus OM10 film SLR. My sister dropped the family's old Zeiss Ikon off that bridge in the late 1970's when the neck strap broke.

Looking forward to seeing your next weekend outing.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 8:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
Mike,
Finding out where you would be next was worth the wait, this is a really nice series.

I haven't been to Letchworth in many years. I think the last time I was there was when I had an Olympus OM10 film SLR. My sister dropped the family's old Zeiss Ikon off that bridge in the late 1970's when the neck strap broke.

Looking forward to seeing your next weekend outing.

Jim
I'm actually considering going back to Letchworth next weekend for the Civil War Re-enactment - Fire on the Genesee.

I appreciate the kind words Jim.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post

Thanks Paul, I always forget about trying to shoot for HDR shots. Your right that it would have probably been good for that. I'm usually too busy keeping on eye on where the family is wandering off to and end up being a little rushed at times. I'll have to try and remember to bracket next time and see what I can come up with.
Mike, I hope you don't mind, but I played with your image a little in PSP 12, using the pseudo HDR function. I would love to see it bracketed, but I can understand more than you realize the difficulty of keeping up with kids. See what you think about this.

Paul
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Mike, I hope you don't mind, but I played with your image a little in PSP 12, using the pseudo HDR function. I would love to see it bracketed, but I can understand more than you realize the difficulty of keeping up with kids. See what you think about this.

Paul
Thanks Paul, I like what you did there. I admit, my photoshop/editing skills need some work.