Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2010, 4:04 PM   #11

Welcome to the forum and the world of Pentax! A nice start so far.

Mike - some of us just like shooting flowers. I'm well beyond my first camera, but am still shooting flowers!

On the ISO issue - I don't have a Kx (I have the K7). Does the Kx have a program line option like the K7 does? While that doesn't specifically stop the camera from shifting to a higher ISO, you can influence the camera's exposure choices - whether the camera will emphasize shutter speed or aperture or something else (there's a choice to use what the camera thinks is the sharpest/best aperture for the lens you are using, assuming you are using one it has programmed in). I'm not sure whether that's a feature that they've reserved for the more expensive camera or not, but it would be something to look at.

Personally, I like using "P" over "Auto" or "Green" mode. It does much the same thing (camera sets the exposure it wants to) but P also allows you to over-ride the camera if you want, which you can't do in Auto. I use it for walk-about mostly, I don't have to think about the camera's settings if I have a quick shot I want to take. Most of the time the exposure is exactly what I want.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 12:23 AM   #12

g'day Mark
that 3rd photo is really good
especially for a first go with the camera

the statue i think i would of given it less depth of field, but thats a personal thing
the same with the flower, i like softer backgrounds
and i admit i like to take flower photos too
they dont fly away like insects and birds do but they are still nature
Old May 19, 2010, 3:59 PM   #13

Hello everyone thanks for the kind words I wasn't expecting such a active group of members . Also thanks the great tips, I am trying the manual settings but I keep getting to bright images. What helps against this?

Mtngal, I didn't notice the P button before I will definitely give it a try it would be nice to be able to over right the auto button but to get a indication of what the camera thinks as well.

JcDeJonge, its always nice to see a fellow dutchman. One question thou what shop do you use because I have to say its pretty hard to find anything but the kit stuff for pentax.

About the flowers , its all I can shoot ATM its either the flowerin the garden or the bees from my neighbour, only problem with these are that they are very aggressive when he is getting honey(like yesterday).

I also found a tripod to help make better Macro shots, its officially a video tripod but my camera fits on it. Does anyone knows what the difference is between a normal tripod and a video one?

Mark
MarkNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 3:18 AM   #14

Quick tip for checking when your shots are under / over-exposed : switch to P mode and re-shoot then compare your settings to those the camera chooses. Chances are the camera's settings will be spot on unless there is something specific you require (more/ less DoF etc). Of course the light may have changed in those few seconds but it should give you an idea.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 11:18 AM   #15

Hey Mark,
to be honest I buy must of my stuff online. I know there are a couple stores in de Randstad.. however I've never been to any There are some dutch online camerastores which sell reasonably priced gear. My second hand stuff I buy from either marktplaats or ebay.

Good luck exploring your Kx
Old May 20, 2010, 3:46 PM   #16

I started out with a video tripod (a Velbon). It wasn't a very good one when new and I didn't like the pan/tilt head (I prefer a ball head). It actually worked reasonably well, but mine weighed more than I was willing to carry for very long. Mine didn't have the ability to spread the legs out so the camera could be at ground level, and I didn't like the quick release plates - they were designed for a video camera and have an extra pin to hold the video camera from rotating. The dSLR cameras don't have a place for the extra pin, so I removed it. I couldn't tighten the plate against the camera tight enough to stop it from rotating. Your tripod might not have any of these issues.

If it works for you, enjoy using it.
Old May 20, 2010, 5:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I started out with a video tripod (a Velbon). It wasn't a very good one when new and I didn't like the pan/tilt head (I prefer a ball head). It actually worked reasonably well, but mine weighed more than I was willing to carry for very long. Mine didn't have the ability to spread the legs out so the camera could be at ground level, and I didn't like the quick release plates - they were designed for a video camera and have an extra pin to hold the video camera from rotating. The dSLR cameras don't have a place for the extra pin, so I removed it. I couldn't tighten the plate against the camera tight enough to stop it from rotating. Your tripod might not have any of these issues.

If it works for you, enjoy using it.
Well actually its a 20ish year old Velbon Veb-3 that was bought by my mother at the time so she lets me use it for free.
I doesn't have the quick release and the extra pin thou. But if I understand correctly it would be better to upgrade in the long term?

Thanks for the reply,

Mark

Last edited by MarkNL; May 20, 2010 at 6:00 PM.
MarkNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 10:28 PM   #18

It's better to upgrade only if you find you don't like what you have and do want features that yours doesn't have. I ended up upgrading for several reasons - I wanted something lighter, and one with leg locks that didn't keep getting caught in grass/weeds when I was out shooting wildflowers. And I personally prefer a ball head, but that's really my preference - others prefer pan/tilt heads. I got frustrated with mine, but was glad I already had it - it gave me a taste of what it's like to shoot with a tripod, and also gave me a good idea of what I did and did NOT want in one. I'm very happy (and poorer) with the one I bought.

So don't go out and buy a new one until you are unhappy with the one you have.