Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 17, 2010, 8:13 AM   #1

Default First DSLR photo's

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought my first DSLR , a pentax k-x after advice i got from this site. And yesterday I went to the botanical garden of the University of Utrecht to test it and its modes, I have to admit thou I have mostly used the auto mode.

I could only take a few pics thou because I am currently using a 256mb card, this is because I am still waiting for my Sandisk 8gb card to be delivered.

I tried a bit of PP on the photo's but please give your opinion about them ,they are made with my 50-200mm kit lens.

A statue in the statue garden.

My first try at macro photography.

The oldest part of the garden, this used to be a fort in the Dutch waterline. I tried making some other shot of the fortress as well but these i didn't really like. Ill try and get some more because i live at walking distance of 4 of them.

Greets,

Mark
MarkNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2010, 8:20 AM   #2

Like the macro shot, which lens did you use.

I like the rich color in number 3 the best.
Old May 17, 2010, 8:25 AM   #3

Thank you ,I took the number 1 and 2 with the Smc Pentax-DA L 50-200mm ED and I think I did the last one with the Sms Pentax DA L 18-55mm Al might have been the 50-200 as well can't remember.
Old May 17, 2010, 9:14 AM   #4

Congrats with your new camera and a nice series to start with,

but you asked for it

first picture, good focus, one thing to look out for, there is a white plaque behind it and that works a bit distracting, just moving a few centimeters would have fixed that.

second - the macro shot, when you look at the exif of the picture you see "f5.6 1/1600Sec iso800 - creative program ", if you could take this picture in a lower iso with a smaller apperture it would (imho) be better. (ex f11, iso 400, 1/200sec)

third - good shot and the light is great.

Cheers

Ronny
Old May 17, 2010, 11:16 AM   #5

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Kx kit!

A very nice first pic post. I agree with Ronny on all counts. In #2, you could have achieved a bit deeper Depth of Field (DOF) with a smaller aperture, and 1/200 would probably still have been fast enough to keep camera shake under control with the camera's SR.

Nice going!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 11:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice on the macro shot, ill definitely try a smaller aperture next time
Old May 17, 2010, 1:31 PM   #7

Hi Mark, and welcome to the forum.
I have found that when I try to use the auto mode, it wants to send my ISO sky high for some reason. I set my camera in the menu so the ISO doesn't go over 200 for well lit photos. I find I get more keepers that way.
BTW, you're doing better than I did when I got my first DSLR camera a couple years ago.
I really like #3. Keep up the good work.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 4:24 AM   #8

Hey Mark..
welcome here at Steve's.
Like you I'm also a Dutch beginning k-x user.
Some tips... just try everything.. different apertures.. different shutter speeds.. different exposures. See how different things work out in different settings.
And obviously never be afraid to ask things here at steve's.. there are so many knowledgeable people here who are willing to help you.

I can second what goldwinger says about the iso. I noticed it yesterday with my k-x also. I was doing some macroing and for some reason the auto iso was constantly 800 or more while I was shooting in daylight :s so keep an eye on that.

Picture 3 is very nice colorwise.

Keep it up!
Old May 18, 2010, 7:41 AM   #9

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum. Excellent job for your first Shots. My fav is #3

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 7:58 AM   #10

Welcome aboard the Pentax and DSLR train. The pentax community here is probably the most active on this forum and a lot of great folks with a lot of knowledge to share. This is just a general comment, I notice (myself included) that when people get a new camera that one of the most popular subjects to shoot right off are flowers. Nothing wrong with that, it's just funny I think.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote