Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2010, 2:38 AM   #31

Sorry for the late reply fella, well done on getting the camera finally!

Did you get the weather resistant kit lens with it? if so, don't worry about the rain, go take some shots!

The day I got mine it was raining hard, and I completely ignored it and went out around town to take photo's.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 7:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Sorry for the late reply fella, well done on getting the camera finally!

Did you get the weather resistant kit lens with it? if so, don't worry about the rain, go take some shots!

The day I got mine it was raining hard, and I completely ignored it and went out around town to take photo's.

Hiya! And, thanks for kind e-mail, indeed. Yes, I got the weather resistant kit lens... both kit lens... let the collection begin!!!

It was raining cats and dogs yesterday, I am not as brave as you... but today is absolutely brilliant... weather could not be better!

Many thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 7:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
What, no coffee cup shot? That always seems to be my first shot with any camera or lens. I didn't do that with my most recent purchase, I'll have to correct that soon.

Oi! Harriet! I thought to myself... I can't let weather disappoint... though, the weather today is just as perfect as it can be... and sure, it is 73 degrees Fahrenheit, and Finns can't take the heat and are dropping like flies...

Anywhooo... I read your text above... and before I had me first coffee, I broke out the camera and got you a "coffee cup shot"! It is tightly cropped and taken in auto.
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2010, 9:43 AM   #34

Ned,
Be sure and update the firmware with a fully charged battery. The improvements are huge.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 9:58 AM   #35

Really???? I am a little apprehensive doing that... but I guess I should... Just don't want anything to go wrong with a new camera.... Thanks
Old May 19, 2010, 11:05 AM   #36

Yeah you really need to update to the newest firmware, especially if you want to try the video recording mode. With firmware 1.0 which was on my camera when I bought it, I could record 9 seconds of video on my Class 6 SD Card, when I updated, I could then record 9 minutes of video.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:08 AM   #37

wow... 9 seconds to 9 minutes... holy cats

I hope the instructions are easy... is it better to perform this operation in Windows XP or Windows 7?

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:10 AM   #38

It doesn't really matter, you just download a .bin file, copy it to your SD card and turn on the camera while holding "Menu" (I think) and it asks if you want to update, say yes and it does it for you.

You really need to make sure you have enough charge on your battery though, if it dies while updating, it will most likely ruin the camera and you will have to send it back to Pentax for them to fix it.

The update fixed compatibility problems with some SD Cards, amongst other things.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:29 AM   #39

The video is one thing for sure, but more importantly is that after long use especially with video or live view, the sensor would heat up and cause a green line to appear in the image. Most annoying. This was known in street lingo as green line syndrome. Another thing they improved was noise control. While still not as good as a K20D, it is pretty close now, like a 1/2 stop or so ''imo''

By the way, the video is amazingly good with this cam..
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:53 AM   #40

I have download the firmware... but it say the following on the website...

Preparation of update
  • Blank, formatted SD/SDHC card (32MB or more)
Ok, I only have Scandisk 6 8GB SD card... do I have to go out and buy a new card???