Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 19, 2010, 10:55 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Eetu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
Posts: 2,212
Default

Oh, one more thing... is it ok to format my SD card when plugged in to my computer... ?? I formatted it from the computer and added the bin file to. Or will the camera have difficulty with this???
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:08 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Tachikoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,086
Default

As long as it was formatted to FAT, then yeah it should be fine. If not, just format it in the camera, and copy the bin file back across on your PC.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:16 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Eetu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
Posts: 2,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
The video is one thing for sure, but more importantly is that after long use especially with video or live view, the sensor would heat up and cause a green line to appear in the image. Most annoying. This was known in street lingo as green line syndrome. Another thing they improved was noise control. While still not as good as a K20D, it is pretty close now, like a 1/2 stop or so ''imo''

By the way, the video is amazingly good with this cam..
Many thanks, mate! Appreciate your words... sort of glued to the screen to get more advice in these early days of owning the camera.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:19 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Hi Ned,

It's about time. . .just kidding If I had to wait like that for my gear, I would have exploded a long time ago. . .

I think the K-7 will be worth the wait

Congrats!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:22 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
jgredline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles...
Posts: 1,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Many thanks, mate! Appreciate your words... sort of glued to the screen to get more advice in these early days of owning the camera.
Ned,
You are going to have a blast with this. The quiet shutter is something to behold as is the DR of this cam. It is fantastic!
__________________
My flickr
My blog, where the eyes are the window to the soul.
Thank you very much, Javier
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:24 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Eetu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
Posts: 2,212
Default

Silly me... the instructions said: "Blank, formatted SD/SDHC card (32MB or more)" I have a´n 8 GB SCHC Class I am alright. Sorry I misread it.

One more question, please. The instructions state:

9. Remove the update SD/SDHC card from the camera.
10. To check the Firmware version in your camera, turn the camera on while
pressing the MENU button.
Check that the version displayed in the LCD monitor is "Ver.1.03"
The camera automatically starts up after about 5 seconds.
(Caution)
When updating is finished, the update SD/SDHC card still contains the
Firmware file.
If you want to use this card to take pictures, delete the Firmware file
first.


MY QUESTION, and sorry if I sound silly or pedantic... but when should I put the memory card back in the camera??? In instruction line 10 assuming that you are starting the camera with the memory out of the camera? That is how it reads to me...

Again, sorry to ask all these questions... I just don't want to screw up... I am charging the battery and waiting till it is charged... Thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:26 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Eetu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
Posts: 2,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Ned,

It's about time. . .just kidding If I had to wait like that for my gear, I would have exploded a long time ago. . .

I think the K-7 will be worth the wait

Congrats!

Scott

Thanks Scott. I think I bought one of the only last Pentax K7's left in Finland... they told me after four weeks, "Oh, you will have to wait several weeks" My son and I checked the translation... Anyway, I got on the phone and sort of leaned on these guys at Verkkokauppa....

Anyway, I've got it and everything seems sorted.

Thanks for your words! All the best.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:28 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Eetu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
Posts: 2,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgredline View Post
Ned,
You are going to have a blast with this. The quiet shutter is something to behold as is the DR of this cam. It is fantastic!
Thanks mate! I already noticed it is much more quiet than my Pentax MZ5n
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:38 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Tachikoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Silly me... the instructions said: "Blank, formatted SD/SDHC card (32MB or more)" I have a´n 8 GB SCHC Class I am alright. Sorry I misread it.

One more question, please. The instructions state:

9. Remove the update SD/SDHC card from the camera.
10. To check the Firmware version in your camera, turn the camera on while
pressing the MENU button.
Check that the version displayed in the LCD monitor is "Ver.1.03"
The camera automatically starts up after about 5 seconds.
(Caution)
When updating is finished, the update SD/SDHC card still contains the
Firmware file.
If you want to use this card to take pictures, delete the Firmware file
first.


MY QUESTION, and sorry if I sound silly or pedantic... but when should I put the memory card back in the camera??? In instruction line 10 assuming that you are starting the camera with the memory out of the camera? That is how it reads to me...

Again, sorry to ask all these questions... I just don't want to screw up... I am charging the battery and waiting till it is charged... Thanks.

Ned
Right, short version is:

Update the firmware

Remove the SD Card

Turn on the camera while holding Menu

If it says "Version 1.03" then format the card again (or just delete the bin file) and you are done.

If it doesn't say 1.03 then it has not updated.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 3:18 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Utrecht
Posts: 17
Default

Hello Eetu, gratz at your new camera , I know how you feel, although I didn't have to wait as long as you did. Its a good thing I read this tread i forgot to upgrade my firmware too.

Mark
MarkNL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:56 PM.