Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 17, 2010, 3:40 PM   #1

Default World Expo - Part 1

I've just about recovered from my first visit - I walked 25kms in 10 hours. Once I sat down and studied the map of the Expo I found that so far I've seen just 10% of the exhibits / pavilions !!

I have hundreds of shots to assess, decide to delete / keep, and then PP. So these few here are just to give you a flavour, they are the ones I sent to my daughter via Skype yesterday. Just some cropping & curves adjustments made.

There is just so much to see / do that I really don't know where to start

#1 - British pavilion
#2 - British pavilion (section of) - that's the Lupu bridge in the background.
#3 - Flags - I really wanted these against the background of the British Pavilion - however there was no accessible highpoint and I had to exclude flag-poles in the proximity, so this was the only angle that got close to what I wanted.
#4 - An exhibit in the African Pavilion - for scale a human standing against it would just about come up to the mouth of the head on the left.
#5 - From the parade.
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2010, 3:48 PM   #2

There are huge crowds around the bigger / better marketed pavilions, typically 1 to 2 hours to get into the pavilions of the likes of : Russia, USA, Luxembourg (who have a very large and interesting pavilion), Italy, Britain etc.

The Chinese pavilion alone is the size of 35 football pitches !! No - I haven't queued the 2 hours to get into that one yet !

#6 - Crowds - this is along one side of the pavilion - the entrance is on the opposite side !
#7 - Venezuelan pavilion
#8 - Mexican pavilion - as far as I've seen so far it is the only one underground - and it is really very good ! My second favourite so far.
#9 - An exhibit from the Italian pavilion.
#10 - A duo playing outside the Australian pavilion - this was around 22.00 just as I was planning to go home. No flash, hand-held.
Attached Images

Old May 17, 2010, 4:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
There are huge crowds around the bigger / better marketed pavilions, typically 1 to 2 hours to get into the pavilions of the likes of : Russia, USA, Luxembourg (who have a very large and interesting pavilion), Italy, Britain etc.

The Chinese pavilion alone is the size of 35 football pitches !! No - I haven't queued the 2 hours to get into that one yet !

#6 - Crowds - this is along one side of the pavilion - the entrance is on the opposite side !
#7 - Venezuelan pavilion
#8 - Mexican pavilion - as far as I've seen so far it is the only one underground - and it is really very good ! My second favourite so far.
#9 - An exhibit from the Italian pavilion.
#10 - A duo playing outside the Australian pavilion - this was around 22.00 just as I was planning to go home. No flash, hand-held.
Thanks for the narratives. I was in China until mid April as I knew that the event would be extremely crowded by western standard. China pavilion will be around long time so there is no need to go right away. Lining up in relatively polluted region is just not suitable for my health given my recent health issue.

Follow twitter https://twitter.com/limlouisa of Louisa Lim, NPR correspondent in Shanghai.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 4:33 PM   #4

whats the big spiky thing supposed to be?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 4:52 PM   #5

John - it's the exterior / interior of the British pavilion and has some environmental benefit. Didn't pay much attention to that bit I'm afraid !

Daniel : it's crowded but not exceptionally so (avoid going before 12.00 and it's a breeze to get in). Also after 17.00 is good as there are reduced ticket prices and it's much easier to get into the popular pavilions as Chinese people leave early for dinner. I got into the Italian pavilion (at 21.00) in just 10 mins and the British (at 20.30) in 5 mins. The Mexican I just strolled right in at around 21.30.

The Expo runs for 6 months so plenty of time to see everything !
Old May 17, 2010, 5:18 PM   #6

Great photos Kevin.
The last one of the sax player brought back a flood of memories. I had one that looked just like it about 18 years ago! It was old but played just fine. The gentleman I got it from had owned it for over 50 years and he said it was old when he got it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 6:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
John - it's the exterior / interior of the British pavilion and has some environmental benefit. Didn't pay much attention to that bit I'm afraid !

Daniel : it's crowded but not exceptionally so (avoid going before 12.00 and it's a breeze to get in). Also after 17.00 is good as there are reduced ticket prices and it's much easier to get into the popular pavilions as Chinese people leave early for dinner. I got into the Italian pavilion (at 21.00) in just 10 mins and the British (at 20.30) in 5 mins. The Mexican I just strolled right in at around 21.30.

The Expo runs for 6 months so plenty of time to see everything !
FYI the attendance is now only 1/2 of what it is supposed to be (re official daata). So your waiting time should have been twice that much.
Anyway what is important is that you did good work shooting and posting for us. That is our gain

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 10:14 PM   #8

Fascinating pictures - the British pavilion is certainly interesting. And the others are just as good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 12:40 AM   #9

Thank you ladies & gentlemen !

I just love the sax but my favourite is the clarinet. They are remarkably cheap to buy here and very good quality (a Canadian friend of mine plays in a band back home and gets all his instruments here).
I have the OK to start learning the clarinet from the wife so that is a project for the future (luckily we don't live in an apartment) ! Do you still play GW ?
Old May 18, 2010, 2:57 AM   #10

Great series

and when you mention 1 to 2 hours to get into one of the pavillions I doubt if I would want to wait.