Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2010, 5:56 AM   #11

I'm with shoturtle, Av priority, but usually wide open for the aperture. If it's bright, I'll stop it down while I'm bringing the camera up to my eye the first time. With the K-7, I have the rear dial control aperture, the front dial control Ev comp, and I leave the Info screen with the Auto ISO selected. Default is 100-3200, but on a bright day, I'll limit it to something between 320-800 -- all it takes is a press of the Info button, then a twirl of the back dial to change the upper limit -- I don't even look at the camera when I do it. I have the memory set to return ISO to my default Auto ISO, Ev comp to 0, and SR to on when I turn the power off so I can start at the same point whenever I want.
My default shutter mode is continuous high. I usually shoot single shots, but if I want a continuous string, all I have to do is keep the shutter pressed.

I also set up the User Mode for macros using the Metz 15 Macro Slave flash, so the flash is set for wireless controller with -1 stop flash comp, shutter mode is set to single, jpeg quality is **** and some other tweaking of settings that otherwise I'd forget to do when switching to macro. If I could set it to pop up the flash automatically, I'd do it.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 1:53 PM   #12

Hmm I believe everyone has more or less the same tactics.. and hopes to get 1 good pictures out of 10 on average.

I believe I don't have the MFT option on my Kx unfortunately.
But I could however set some standard values in the memory so I'm most often good to go.
It's still hard to see the values of the camera as a second nature...but I'll keep practicing

thanks for all the replies.

Carlo
Old May 19, 2010, 3:14 PM   #13

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC de Jonge View Post
I believe I don't have the MFT option on my Kx unfortunately.
Look in your manual under Program Line. MFT Priority is one of the options there.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:16 PM   #14

I've searched for it... but unfortunately there's not such thing as MFT priority in the Kx manual
However I did find something called P-shift:Automatically adjusts the shutter speed and aperture value to obtain the proper exposure.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:23 PM   #15

I would not worry to much about mft, I know where my lenses are sharpest. So I leave it in that range with Av.

With your k-x, f8-14 are very sharp. If it is a sunny day, I would leave it in those ranges and auto iso the camera at 200-1600, and on cloudy days, leave it at 5.6 and bump iso range to 200-3200.
Old May 20, 2010, 5:13 PM   #16

They are calling it P-shift? Interesting, they call it hyperprogram here. And yes, it's why I use P mode most of the time - I have the easy option of letting the camera decide everything or else with a flick of the finger I can change the value I want to change, without having to change the mode. I can't tell you how many times I've shot a bunch of pictures with an inappropriate shutter speed or aperture (or ISO for that matter), because I hadn't put it back on P or changed the ISO back to auto).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote