Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2010, 8:33 PM   #31

@hards... Nice shot, and new creature to me
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 9:48 PM   #32

Dustin - those are wonderful shots, the first one really outstanding. You seem to be making good use of the Viv, isn't it a treat for a lens? Looks like it doesn't matter which mount it's made with - it's still a nice lens.

thedoctor - your insect is definitely odd looking. Well done!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 11:31 PM   #33
Super Moderator

thank you all for the kind words. yes the viv is really a treat of a macro lens. i am really enjoying it, the focus on it well dampened and has a very nice feel to it. works nicely with the magnified focal point on the epl1.

it was a treat to have an excuse to share some photos with your great Pentax community here. I often visit to comment on all your photos, but not shooting Pentax myself never really have a chance to give back.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
it was a treat to have an excuse to share some photos with your great Pentax community here. I often visit to comment on all your photos, but not shooting Pentax myself never really have a chance to give back.
Since you have been a regular visitor and participant, I think we can grudgingly make an exception for you, especially since you have such nice images to contribute. We may make a Pentaxian of you yet, but until then, you can consider yourself an honorary one!!

Last edited by penolta; May 22, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 10:29 PM   #35

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-mount-us.html

Hmm...a good buy?
Old May 22, 2010, 10:44 PM   #36

That is one heck of a lens, well compare that Hards great buy which is hard to beat. That is the going price for that lens. Here are some samples of that lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...5mm-2-5-a.html
Old May 23, 2010, 5:01 AM   #37

Hi Folks,
I've been wanting to contribute to this thread ever since it first appeared, unfortunately my mobility has been and still is severely limited by an attack of scatica, improvement is very slow, but yesterday I made the effort, and managed a couple of shots (out of several) I thought I could post. I don't consider that they come close to other excellent submissions posted ... they're the best I can manage at present time.
My understanding of macro has always been, an image of life size 1:1 or greater, say 10:1, I know my shots are outside that range ... no better than 1:3 (1/3 life size) at best. Surprisingly the lens used I don't believe I ever tried in macro mode before, I'm pleased with the results, and will try out it's possibilities further.
OK shot with the K100D with a Tamron SP 28 - 80 f3.5 - 4.2 handheld using focus trap technique, I was surprised and pleased to note that it was triggering the shutter readily at f11 ( most lenses I find get iffy around f8)
The subjects BTW are all I could find in the limited range of my garden. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 7:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi Folks,
My understanding of macro has always been, an image of life size 1:1 or greater, say 10:1, I know my shots are outside that range ... no better than 1:3 (1/3 life size) at best. Jack
Technically, you are (or were) correct, but English is a steadily evolving language (not always for the best, either). Perhaps due to the mislabeling by manufacturers of lenses with only close-up ability as "macro", the concept has been expanded in common usage to 1:3, 1:5, or even beyond. Most books on macrophotography have followed suit. On the other end, where macrophotography becomes photomicrography (microscopy) has never been clearly defined.

Glad you are starting to feel better. As a long time back sufferer, I feel your pain. Take it easy and don't push it - allow the spasms to relax and you will get over it, albeit slowly.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 9:12 AM   #39

@jack

you nailed the second one to perfection ... Hope you heal fast, so you can have more outings for photography
Old May 23, 2010, 9:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post

Glad you are starting to feel better. As a long time back sufferer, I feel your pain. Take it easy and don't push it - allow the spasms to relax and you will get over it, albeit slowly.
Amen to that Penolta, I'm truly sorry to hear of another sufferer, it's not something I'd wish on anyone else. I seem to spend a lot of my life on my back these days doing some exercise or other, either to relieve pain, or to strengthen the core muscles to give better spinal support.
Thanks for the comments on macro ... I had noted the trend to relax the definitions of such, and as you say manufacturers have a lot to do with this trend, and even the cheapest P&S model have a macro mode, good or bad it's a selling point they'll push. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote