Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2010, 7:34 AM   #1

Default New Pentax K7 photos

Hi gang! I bolted for the lake, only a little walk from across the street... and took a few pictures in Auto Mode. These were taken quickly, as I needed to get back to work! Anyway, my wife asked me to make a collection of a progression of monthly photographs, showing how the seasons change here in Finland... The first two photographs are of March and April... and yes, they were taken with that jok'n notorious Nokia N95 mobile phone camera... the last two, of course, are taken with my new Pentax K7. The first is a cropped version of the original... the second is with some post processing. The next time I will use manual settings and work on focusing... for now, this was a quicky... with auto everything.

Greetings from here in central Finland
Attached Images

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2010, 9:56 AM   #2

What program are you using for PP Ned ?

Personally I would go straight to Curves and let it auto-adjust everything. If you don't like it add a little more contrast and if still not to your liking go back to the original and start again making adjustments one by one. You should also download some free pre-sets to save you a lot of work ! (And later save some of your own work as a pre-set).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 10:02 AM   #3

Frogfish, forgive my ignorance... what do you means "go straight to Curves"? I have microsoft office and Elements 8, but have to learn how to do Elements later gradually. Thanks
Old May 19, 2010, 10:06 AM   #4

Sorry Ned - I don't remember if Elements has Curves or Levels, both or neither ! Best Google it for much better advice than I can give !

I used LR3(beta) before (you can download it for free for now until the official version is released) but now my workflow is exclusively Aperture 3 (which I really love) and Zerene Stacker if needed.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Congrats Ned!

Finally you got your well deserved camera. Great first pics. I´m really looking forward to see man pics from you and your new camera.
I have actually visited the Pentax forum almost every day waiting to hear that you got your camera. And I´m am a Nikonist;-)

But I actually like Pentax. Had one great Pentax compact when I was younger. And the K7 seems like a really nice camera and one that I could concider to have without a doubt.

So get out take a lot of pics now my friend;-)

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:08 AM   #6

If you want a free photo editor that gives you more control (at the expense of user friendliness) then download http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

It is almost as good as a full copy of Photoshop but the interface leaves a lot to be desired (but apparently they are fixing that in the next major release)
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSProtection View Post
Congrats Ned!

Finally you got your well deserved camera. Great first pics. I´m really looking forward to see man pics from you and your new camera.
I have actually visited the Pentax forum almost every day waiting to hear that you got your camera. And I´m am a Nikonist;-)

But I actually like Pentax. Had one great Pentax compact when I was younger. And the K7 seems like a really nice camera and one that I could concider to have without a doubt.

So get out take a lot of pics now my friend;-)

Best regards/Daniel

Hejsan, Daniel, och tack!

Many kind thanks. Right now, I just need to do a lot of shooting and experimenting... Lot's to learn as this camera is a far cry from my film camera... So glad to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Ned
Old May 19, 2010, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
If you want a free photo editor that gives you more control (at the expense of user friendliness) then download http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

It is almost as good as a full copy of Photoshop but the interface leaves a lot to be desired (but apparently they are fixing that in the next major release)
Thanks. I have Elements... I better learn how to use that first. Everything is so different from the days of spending my days in the darkroom (when I worked for an industrial photographic firm in Helsinki)... All I had to work with 26 years ago was my enlarger, which was pretty top notch back then... now it is all digital... but glad to not be in the dark.

All the best and thanks.

Ned
Old May 19, 2010, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Thanks. I have Elements... I better learn how to use that first. Everything is so different from the days of spending my days in the darkroom (when I worked for an industrial photographic firm in Helsinki)... All I had to work with 26 years ago was my enlarger, which was pretty top notch back then... now it is all digital... but glad to not be in the dark.

All the best and thanks.
Hi Ned,

I think Elements should be all you need. It's pretty fully featured after all the upgrades they've made over the years. That being said, it doesn't hurt to try other editors -- most can be downloaded as a limited time trial for free. You might find that others are more intuitive for you. Learning a PP program can be a daunting task, and IMO, the interfaces are put together with vastly differing thought processes. The closer the match to the way I think, the easier it is for me to learn and use effectively.

Personally, I've used Paint Shop Pro for many years, and it has served me well. Since Corel took it over from JASC, they've added a lot of useful features, but IMO, they've also made some parts of the interface considerably more cumbersome. At this point, I'm doubting that I'll upgrade past v XII, and I'll just look for plugins that will eventually surface to add features that I want. Usually the plugins end up working better than the native functions anyway, but not always. . . There's a whole world of features that you can add with plugins -- some really amazing stuff.

The digital darkroom is a far cry from the literal one of long ago. . . it's absolutely amazing what can be done by anyone who takes the time to play around a bit.

The same can be said for the whole digital photography experience. You have a vast new world to explore -- and some great tools to do it with. I can only suggest that you make the most out of it by not getting bogged down in the technical minutiae and marketing hype for the latest and greatest.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 2:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Ned,

I think Elements should be all you need. It's pretty fully featured after all the upgrades they've made over the years. ... You have a vast new world to explore -- and some great tools to do it with. I can only suggest that you make the most out of it by not getting bogged down in the technical minutiae and marketing hype for the latest and greatest.

Scott
Many kind thanks, indeed, Scott! Appreciate your words!

Ned