Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2010, 2:08 PM   #11

I really like the warm colors of the first two shots. I'm considering buying the K-x with the 55-300mm. Amazon had the kit for less than $690 but now its $770. So, I'm sure it will go down again.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 7:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I really like the warm colors of the first two shots. I'm considering buying the K-x with the 55-300mm. Amazon had the kit for less than $690 but now its $770. So, I'm sure it will go down again.
If you change lenses a lot, you may not want to buy the kit, as the lens is a DA L rather than the DA. Although they may be optically identical, the L series has plastic mounts rather than the metal ones, and might be more subject to wear. The 55-300 DA L also lacks the DA feature that lets you override the auto focus by simply turning the focus ring without having to disengage the autofocus - a very useful feature. IMO buying the DA lens separately is worth the few extra bucks.

AZK6er, that was a nice catch. I'm surprised Scott remembered the significance of the tufts, since I had forgotten I had ever mentioned it - if he hadn't brought it up, I probably would have repeated myself!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 8:16 PM   #13

Thank you penolta - Your right on about this lens, and Scotts little Tidbit was pretty interesting, Thanks to both of you for that.

Mole - I clicked on ur link, Thanks. Now maybe I can Identify all these different birds Minnesota has to offer me.
AZK6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 11:33 PM   #14

OK, so there is a build difference between the DA L and the DA. How about in terms of IQ, how do they compare?

Tullio
Old May 22, 2010, 11:34 PM   #15

Tullio - Everyone says that the IQ is the same, just the feature set is different. I found out myself that I relied alot more than I thought I did on the DA feature that lets me have my K100D Super in Auto Focus mode but I can reach up at Any time and change the focus just by adjusting the Focus ring at the front of the lens, Without having to move the AF/MF switch on the body first. I have a couple of Sigma Lenses that I have to switch the camera body to MF b4 I can move the Manual focus ring on the lens. I find the "Quick Shift" feature on the DA lens a Big plus with that long 55-300 range, as when set out to 300 I reach up and just get a rudimentary focus with the manual focus ring first then push my "OK" button (I have Auto Focus set to that button) and get almost instantanious Focus instead of using just Auto focus and risk missing focus the first time (which happens at the MOST inoppertune times) and having to wait until the lens cycles thru the whole range and back again for another try. In low light this might happen a couple of times b4 I get Focus lock, remember, I'm using a camera focus system thats Not as fast or as sure as that found on the K7's or K-x's and in low light I find that Manual Focus is sometimes alot quicker than Auto focus, so for me the "Quick Shift" system on the DA 55-300, not the DA L 55-300 is a extra that I'm willing to pay for even though I'm on a fixed income. without it I would have missed numerous bird shots because my camera has a quite noisy Auto Focus that scares off the more scittery ones. I hope this helps. Have fun with ur photography and Good Luck.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:47 PM   #16

Thanks for focus the tips. I find having a 300mm lens a must since I like to photograph birds and wild life in general. So, if I decide not to buy the DA 55-300mm, which other good nn-300m options I have (from Sigma, Tamron,...)? Something that won't break the bank. Thanks.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; May 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 6:54 AM   #17

Nice shooting.... and the number of us who had no difficulty catching the Red Skelton reference may say something.......

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 11:57 PM   #18

Thanks Trojansoc. My wife, Mother-in-law and myself went to see one of his shows when I still lived in Arizona many moons ago. They'll NEVER be another like him and I feel blessed that I was able to see him live. It was just like watching him on TV, he hadn't slowed down one bit.

Tullio - The DA L has the same optics as the DA, as you know, and reportedly The Best of the consumer xx-300 zooms. As far as Sigma or Tamron 70-300's go I've read where users of Both have swapped out their gear and gone to the Pentax Lens, but to your question, there's Loyalty in both camps but I sense that the Sigma APO DG Macro edges out the other Sigma 70-300 and the Tamron on IQ, why I don't remember, but them that have a good copy of the Tamron would rather "Fight than Switch" if you know what I mean. Both are priced really cheap for such Good Lenses though, and make it a lot less painfull to get into this game. Some can afford the really Neet gear, I can't. If Pentax hadn't done such a Bang-up job on their 55-300 I prolly would have gone for the Sigma DG APO Macro 70-300 just on the strength of all the praise I've seen on this forum And over at PentaxForums. Hope this helps and I DID almost get the DA L myself, but thank goodness to the tooth fairy for the few extra bucks I needed. Yeah, he's on his second go-around with me, but if prices keep goin up on Lenses and Cameras I'll have to start using someone elses teeth to feed my LBA, I'm runnin out of my own.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:51 AM   #19

Thanks once again, AZK. I think I'll go for the 2-lens kit with the 55-300mm.

Tullio