Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 20, 2010, 2:26 AM   #1

Default A Face Only a Mother could Love...

A baby Grackel that reminds me of Red Skelton doing one of his skits (Klem Kadidlehopper maybe ?) Taken with a K100-D Super, my New 55-300 DA Zoom (a very sweet lens, you were right GW), handheld at 260 (equiv. 390), camera in Manual mode.
Attached Images

AZK6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2010, 5:16 AM   #2

Cute shots - I have no idea what a Grackel is though ! Looks about Blackbird / Thrush size ?
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 10:12 AM   #3

Nice shots!

I hear only good things about the DA 55-300 .. I'm thinking of replacing my DA L 50-200 with it..
Old May 20, 2010, 10:42 AM   #4

Hi AXK6er,

Red Skelton -- Klem Kadidlehopper -- showing your age a little?

just kidding . . . I once made a Jimmy Durante/ "Good night Mrs Kalabash -- wherever you are. . ." reference here, so I've got little room to talk. . .

Young birds retain some of their downy baby feathers on their heads as a natural defense against adult aggression. It shows that they should be nurtured and are not a threat to the adults -- learned that from penolta. . . so I'll pass on this little tidbit of knowledge -- I found it interesting. . .

Pretty cool shots!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 2:12 PM   #5

Great shots, and that face doesn't look so bad.

Cheers

Ronny
Old May 20, 2010, 2:25 PM   #6

Good work AZK!
Had to laugh at your Red Skelton comparison, you were right on.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 3:02 PM   #7

They are cute! Definitely looks like a bad-hair day for the cute little thing. And yes, I really like my DA 55-300. Can't wait to get it back (loaned it to someone for a month).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 4:00 PM   #8

Great photos, great humor as well!

Frogfish - yes a Grackle is a blackbird - a bit bigger than a thrush. Here's a good link:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Grackle/id
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 2:59 AM   #9

Thanks All for your comments,

JC - I just upgraded from my DA 50-200 f/4-5.6 and can only say that I was suprised by first the sharpness, my DA 55-300 f/4-5.8 is easily as sharp at 300 as my 50-200 is at 50 (maybe even more so), also the image quality seems a notch better at all focal lengths, and don't forget that 5.8 at 300 vs 5.6 at 200, 100 mm added focal length with vertually No penality in aperture size. I wish I had bought this lens sooner. Now when I stick my 1.5x Kenko TC extender on to go to about 675 mm I'm back at about where I was with just my DA 50-200 set to 200 as far as sharpness goes, minus of course 1 stop of light. When you get one you'll see what I mean. Good Luck. Oh, by the way, when I did my PP (LCE and Crop only) I forgot to do Any sharpening afterwards whatsoever. My Bad ! I'm not that good at Post Processing, but the sharpness from the original right out of the camera pic held up nice though I think, especially for being powered by only a 6 MP CCD camera. that makes my DA 55-300 look even better to me.

snostorm - I once made a Jimmy Durante/ "Good night Mrs Kalabash -- wherever you are. . ." reference here, so I've got little room to talk. . .
I do remember that also (I watched most of those shows 1st time New on TV, b4 Re-Runs were invented, Black and White TV that is). Thanks for the Tidbit of knowledge there, quite interesting.
AZK6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 8:37 AM   #10

Mole - thanks for the link, what a great site. Lovely iridescent body, could be a beautiful bird shot if caught just right.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote