Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2010, 4:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I agree with my colleagues assessments above. It looks like you sharpened and everything before you resized. Also, it looks like you are using pretty heavy compression as the shots are 1024 pixels on the long end, but only 140kb in size, that is pretty heavy compression.

The link that Ordo provided is very helpful.

I really think the best method though is just to sign up for a free Photobucket account. Then all you have to do is resize your photograph to the size you want, and you don't have to worry about the compression and losing detail. Then you can just use the "insert image" button to link to your photograph on here.

By the way, these are great views. Looking forward to more when you get your compression and artifact issues fixed
Yes, I did a few things BEFORE... but that's because I didn't know... I just want to learn and had not a clue that I should resize first... Is this photobucket thing fee? Again, I am open to any advice you have to give... but the one thing for sure is that I will resize first. As for the compression, you know I am out of the stone ages, with film and all... I don't know much about the compression... but I really want to get this sorted. Thanks for your kind comments, indeed! Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 4:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
The common voice is to sharpen after resize (thats for the Web) and not exceed the max admitted in Steves forum attachs. A lot of info Here. Follow the whole discussion and you will find lots of interesting links. Many of us use external image hosts.

Ordo, thaks for your comments... I just didn't know I had it all backwards... so I resize first... I was wondering why my shots were diminished after I resized them later and uploaded. Anyway, I see the light on this issue... I will look into Photobucket and see what I can do. Please feel free to share any other helpful hints, mate. All the best. Ned
Old May 21, 2010, 5:00 PM   #13

Thanks a mil, snostorm... as you all know, I am really, really NEW to DSLR, after using all my life.... I am really in new territory concerning digital things. I worked in photography earlier, 26 years ago before switich careers... It was rescuing Russian slides that were all red and horrible in colour... and some how saving them to make them look presentable... but now I have a lot to learn of what is done with a DSLR.

Thanks for your kind words, yes, I am fortunate to cross the street and have a huge lake, one from among over 10,000... Finland is loaded with birch trees and all. Again, thank you for your encouraging words. Ned
Old May 21, 2010, 5:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Stunning scenery!

I really like the photo of the boat, great detail.

One thing I found with the K-7 is not to turn the shadow/hilight compensation up too high, it was introducing an awful lot of noise where there shouldn't have been any. Check if yours is set to maximum, and try again with it turned down.
Its early days, I will try to find out where this setting is... Thanks mate.
Old May 21, 2010, 5:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Ned,

First off all, congratulations on the new acquisition...sounds like you are off to a great start based on the images above.

Re. re-sizing, I have found that if you re-size as step 1 of your post processing and then adjust color, contrast and sharpenning, the results are much better than re-sizing as the last step. Of course this means that if you wish to save images for printing, you'd need to repeat the post processing steps on an un-resized file. Cumbersome...but it works for me.

Jehan
Many thanks, Jehan!.. Again, this resizing things first... I wish I would have know that from the very start... even with the Nokia N95, I was resizing last. Anyway, I see the light on this issue. Thanks. And, thanks for your kind words.

Ned
Old May 21, 2010, 5:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSProtection View Post
Great composition Ned. You will soon learn the camera and Photoshop. The pics are great but I´ll agree with the compression looks hard.

Looking forward for more.

Best regards/Daniel
Thanks Daniel... I had to get of the beaten track and get down one or two photos. Glad you liked the composition, mate. I still have to learn about compression... that is all new to me. Sorry I seem like something out of the photo-dark ages. All the best to you and yours.

Ned
Old May 21, 2010, 5:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Beautiful shots Ned!
A lot of us here use a hosting site called Zenfolio to post our photos from.
You can get a limited account for free but, I find it worth the cost ($40usd) per year for an unlimited account. that way I can have all my photos backed up on an off site server. I save my edited shots sized as 8"X12" @200ppi which gives me approximately a 11 to 12 meg file as a tif file (no loss of image quality) I can download a file and print a good quality 8X12 photo if I want to.
Many thanks, GW! I will look into Zenfolio, too! Appreciate your words.

Ned
Old May 21, 2010, 5:10 PM   #18

I use Photobucket Ned. It´s free, and works great. I also use a free program called BDSizer to resize my pics. With that program I´m also able to write my copyright info.

Here is a download link.

http://www.softsea.com/review/BD-Sizer.html

It´s really simple and works great.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 5:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Thanks Daniel... I had to get of the beaten track and get down one or two photos. Glad you liked the composition, mate. I still have to learn about compression... that is all new to me. Sorry I seem like something out of the photo-dark ages. All the best to you and yours.

Ned
I love your photos my friend. And I have a lot to learn about that compression stuff too

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 5:26 PM   #20

Daniel, thanks for all your kind words and advice. I just got photobucket online.. the BDSizer programme you mentioned. Many thanks. Always glad to hear from. Too bad we are not closer neighbours... central Finland is about 4 hours from the `Åbo (Turku). Glad you like the photos. I had a lot of fun during my quick walk before getting back to work... I only wished these photos would have been more presentable for the forum, but as you see I have a lot to learn. Take care. Ned