Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2010, 5:27 PM   #21

Don't be so hard on yourself mate, I couldn't take landscape photo's as good as these (even without the noise) if you held a gun to my head!

I am sure you will sort out the noise thing in no time, I look forward to more of your shots!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 5:29 PM   #22

No worries... just so much to learn. That's a fun thing. All the best. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 5:36 PM   #23

Yeah, it would be cool to be neigbours Ned. Maybe I´ll move to Finland

Sometimes I´m really tired of Sweden anyway.
I don´t think you should be to hard to your self either. Your compositions are extremely good. I wish I had that photographic eye that you have.

Let me know if you need any help with Photobucket or BDSizer and I´ll try to help you as much as I can.

By the way, My wifes son is actually in Åbo right now. He went on a cruise with som people from his work. They are spending the night at some spa hotel

Take care and say hello to yours.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 6:05 PM   #24

Glad to see you are getting to play with the new toy. It looks like it is doing a fine job for you. Enjoy it.
Old May 21, 2010, 6:07 PM   #25

Many thanks! Yes, it is fun! Ned
Old May 21, 2010, 11:22 PM   #26

As far as resizing, and since you have PSE - I will try resizing in one step or sometimes do it in steps like Scott. Mostly I do it in one step. With PSE, when you go into image size, choose bicubic sharper instead of bicubic. That seems to resize with a bit of sharpening but without over-doing it. Resizing always takes away some sharpness, so I then use some USM or smart sharpening after resizing. Recently I've been doing my sharpening in Topaz Lab's Detail plug-in and it works well most of the time (not always). There are tons of ways to add sharpening, the key with it is to not get carried away with it. When I use photoshop I'll do sharpening twice - once with a very small radius (0.1 or 0.2) and a large percent for fine sharpening, and once with a huge radius (50-55) and small percent to add contrast. I've got an action set up to do it all at once, if my usual settings don't work I can go back and change them (does PSE support actions? That may be the difference between PSE and the full version of Photoshop).

I love your lake and the birches. There's little water around my immediate vicinity and the only birches are in people's yards. The natural trees are almost all conifers - no variety and they never change. Gets boring - I'd rather have your lake.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 2:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
As far as resizing, and since you have PSE - I will try resizing in one step or sometimes do it in steps like Scott. Mostly I do it in one step. With PSE, when you go into image size, choose bicubic sharper instead of bicubic. That seems to resize with a bit of sharpening but without over-doing it.
Many thanks for your kind help and words. Now could you or anyone else help me with the following... In PSE (see attached) you see "Pixel Dimensions: 41.5M, and a bunch of number following... QUESTION: What number should I put here so as to better upload photos to this forum?

Many thanks.

Ned
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2010, 3:30 AM   #28

Default Is this any better???

Hi, as you know, I learning my way around with my new Pentax K-7

Here is a before and after shot... the first shot was submitted yesterday whereby I edited first, resized later.

The second shot is where I resized first, then did some editing... What saith thee? Any difference? Suggestions? What I like about the first shot is that it looks less blurred, it was overcast at the moment, this is a kit lense... but the water and sky quality, well, I made a mistake there. Hope this is in the right direction in any case.

The third shot is with Photoshope Elements 8... resized first, etc
Attached Images

Last edited by Eetu; May 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old May 22, 2010, 4:57 AM   #29

Yeah you have lost a lot of the noise from the original shot now, but it isn't quite as sharp.

I ran a little unsharp mask on it, and it cleaned it up a bit, but I notice there's a lot of jpeg artifacts on there. Not sure if this is from uploading here, or if it was from when you were editing the photo. When you have edited the photo, make sure you choose "save as" to give you the extended save options, and choose the jpeg compression as 0% (or quality as 100%)

*edit*

Yeah it's definitely from uploading to here, the image I uploaded is worlds apart from the one on my desktop.
Attached Images

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 5:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Yeah you have lost a lot of the noise from the original shot now, but it isn't quite as sharp.

I ran a little unsharp mask on it, and it cleaned it up a bit, but I notice there's a lot of jpeg artifacts on there. Not sure if this is from uploading here, or if it was from when you were editing the photo. When you have edited the photo, make sure you choose "save as" to give you the extended save options, and choose the jpeg compression as 0% (or quality as 100%)

*edit*

Yeah it's definitely from uploading to here, the image I uploaded is worlds apart from the one on my desktop.

Hiya! Could you look above and see my added "third" sample... I think I know how to improve this still, without doing a second resize... but bare with me for the moment. Is the third shot any better?