Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 22, 2010, 5:53 AM   #31

Yeah that's much better again. I think you definitely need to use an online image host though, the forum software is definitely compressing the images quite strongly.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 7:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
I think you definitely need to use an online image host though, the forum software is definitely compressing the images quite strongly.
Which online image host would you recommend... if I may ask?
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 7:41 AM   #33

Well I use Flickr, that way I can organise the photo's into sets and send them to like-minded groups (the macro bug photo's for example)

Photobucket does the same thing, although I have never used it, or there's Imageshack if you don't want to sign up for anything and just want to upload a few photo's. Although some people (frogfish for example) can't see photo's hosted on Imageshack as it is blocked in certain countries.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 11:56 AM   #34

What I would recommend for sizing to post here is to have the width set to 800 pixels. Leave the size constrained like you have it (the check mark by it and the line/lock beside the width and height indicators). Ignore the document size block for web posting (it's important for printing). Leave the three blocks below it checked like you have it. Where you see "bicubic (best for smooth gradients)", click on the down arrow beside that and choose bicubic sharper.

If you have a picture that you've taken as a vertical, choose 800 pixel for the height instead of the width. That makes pictures easy to see here, and will help with stopping the software here from compressing it too much.

The difference between 4672 pixels and 800 pixels is huge, that's why Scott's method of resizing in smaller bites can be very useful. Drop it down about a 1000 pixels in each step, seeing what each resizing loses as far as detail. Since I use zenfolio, I usually resize to my monitor size (which is larger) to use as my screen saver at work and upload that size to my on-line album. Zenfolio creates other thumbnails that are smaller sizes and one is usually around 800 pixels, I'll use that one to link here. Zenfolio's resizing software seems to be quite reasonable, I rarely notice much difference between their smaller version and my original as far as sharpness.

Are you taking your pictures as raw or jpg? If jpg, when you resize them and save for here, use "save as" instead of "save", rename it and DON'T use "save for web". Just use the regular method of saving, and under image options, choose as high a number as you can, paying attention to the small number to the right. See what you can do to have that number under 125k, I think that used to be the cut-off for file size under the old software. Remember that the lower the number, the higher the compression and the more artifacts you will have. But the software here is limited with the file size and their compression methods are rather harsh. Doing "save as" will also leave the exif information in your file, while doing "save for web" strips it out.

On your two pictures, you lost the sky somewhere in the second one. That's odd - I don't normally see that happen with just resizing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 12:14 PM   #35

Many thanks for all your advice! Reall y appreciate it.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 1:44 PM   #36

Great series, on my laptop the sharpness and other stuff aren't really noticable
(need a new laptop - or go back inside)

Cheers

Ronny