Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2010, 6:54 AM   #1

Default Walk along the lake

With my new PENTAX K7. The sun has been in and out today, but I didn't want to let that stop me from grabbing a few shots after lunch. I am a little concerned, to say the least, that when I resized these photos, it seemed to take away from the quality of the photographs, especially one of the birch trees... suddenly the water seemed to have a bit of noise. So, if anyone can help me with how you go about resizing your shots so that they can be displayed online, I am dying to learn. I am STILL learning how to use a digital camera, and how to find my way around Photoshop. Thanks for your patience.

All the best from here in central Finland. (Oh, this lake is across the stree from my home)

Ned
Attached Images

Last edited by Eetu; May 21, 2010 at 7:00 AM. Reason: Theme would have been better as "New Pentax pictures along the lake"
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 7:19 AM   #2

Dang! I want to BE there. But, this certainly is the next best thing! Nice job, Ned!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 7:24 AM   #3

Oi, mate, many kind thanks! Had a lot of fun, but did it all in a bit of hurry after lunch... but I just wanted to get out take some pictures... It was a lot of fun. Thanks Gary!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 8:17 AM   #4

The common voice is to sharpen after resize (thats for the Web) and not exceed the max admitted in Steves forum attachs. A lot of info Here. Follow the whole discussion and you will find lots of interesting links. Many of us use external image hosts.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 8:23 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
With my new PENTAX K7.. . I am a little concerned, to say the least, that when I resized these photos, it seemed to take away from the quality of the photographs, especially one of the birch trees... suddenly the water seemed to have a bit of noise. So, if anyone can help me with how you go about resizing your shots so that they can be displayed online, I am dying to learn.
Ned
Ned,

First off all, congratulations on the new acquisition...sounds like you are off to a great start based on the images above.

Re. re-sizing, I have found that if you re-size as step 1 of your post processing and then adjust color, contrast and sharpenning, the results are much better than re-sizing as the last step. Of course this means that if you wish to save images for printing, you'd need to repeat the post processing steps on an un-resized file. Cumbersome...but it works for me.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I agree with my colleagues assessments above. It looks like you sharpened and everything before you resized. Also, it looks like you are using pretty heavy compression as the shots are 1024 pixels on the long end, but only 140kb in size, that is pretty heavy compression.

The link that Ordo provided is very helpful.

I really think the best method though is just to sign up for a free Photobucket account. Then all you have to do is resize your photograph to the size you want, and you don't have to worry about the compression and losing detail. Then you can just use the "insert image" button to link to your photograph on here.

By the way, these are great views. Looking forward to more when you get your compression and artifact issues fixed
Old May 21, 2010, 11:35 AM   #7

Stunning scenery!

I really like the photo of the boat, great detail.

One thing I found with the K-7 is not to turn the shadow/hilight compensation up too high, it was introducing an awful lot of noise where there shouldn't have been any. Check if yours is set to maximum, and try again with it turned down.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 12:49 PM   #8

Great composition Ned. You will soon learn the camera and Photoshop. The pics are great but I´ll agree with the compression looks hard.

Looking forward for more.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 2:12 PM   #9

Beautiful shots Ned!
A lot of us here use a hosting site called Zenfolio to post our photos from.
You can get a limited account for free but, I find it worth the cost ($40usd) per year for an unlimited account. that way I can have all my photos backed up on an off site server. I save my edited shots sized as 8"X12" @200ppi which gives me approximately a 11 to 12 meg file as a tif file (no loss of image quality) I can download a file and print a good quality 8X12 photo if I want to.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 2:36 PM   #10

Hi Ned,

A very nice series!

Looking at these shots, I have to wonder why a lot of shooters spend so much time criticizing the Dynamic Range of the K-7's sensor. . .

There are a lot of schemes to resize and retain detail. I like multiple resizing steps, with very minor sharpening in between resizing, depending on how the image looks at whatever size. I find that I can keep a bit more detail some of the time, but it really depends on the image. Keep in mind that you're trying to squeeze the image into an area about 1/20 of the original area in order to post, so a lot small details will be lost.

Also, it's always nice to be able to read the exif information in the file, so see if there's a checkbox or menu choice that allows you to retain the exif embedded in the files.

I'd say that you're a lucky man, having such great scenery so close to home -- and you're doing exceptionally well in your early attempts with a brand new camera.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote