Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Mating Mandarins

I know I live in China but NO not those sort of Mandarins

My favourite place to relax and de-stress is the zoo. They have spent a lot of money renovating it and it is really a love place to stroll around even though some of the enclosures and their occupants still need more work doing.

In fact lots of the local wildlife also think it's a great place to make a home so not only are the exotic exhibits there but lots of the otherwise hard to get close to indigenous species.

This time however I was lucky to see Mandarin Ducks creating offspring. I know with some of these the focus is off a little so hope you can forgive me

#1 - all preened and ready to go !
#2 - walk the walk (it's working) !
#3 - it's his lucky day
#4 - full steam ahead
#5 - read my lips

continued below .....
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Very nice series frogfish. These ducks look very similar to our Wood Duck we have here in the US, so I wikepedia'd it and sure enough they share the same genus. Both are gorgeous ducks, but this Mandarin with his feathers all puffed out is amazing.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:53 PM   #3

#6 - whew, I'm knackered !
#7 - I'm the man ! I'm the man !
#9 - (what should be here is the mutual preening that went on post-coitus : sorry I missed it).
#10 - The modern duck - I'll never leave you baby !
Attached Images

Old May 21, 2010, 12:56 PM   #4

Thanks Hards. The males have absolutely stupendous plumage don't they.
Old May 21, 2010, 1:37 PM   #5

Hi FF,

Great series!

I'm a member of the largest zoo in my area, and it's indeed a great place to see a number of species that populate the area, but aren't usually viewable. The have the knowledge to create/maintain habitats that can attract and protect these guys, yet allow easy access to the public. It's also a break for a wildlife shooter. With all those animals just waiting around to be photographed, it's a far cry from the pressure of trying not to mess up that "once in a lifetime" photo op that's so few and far between in the wild.

I've spent a lot of time at zoos -- it's really good practice dealing subjects that you can't control for position, lighting, and action. I used to walk the entire zoo, trying to get a wide assortment of shots, but then decided that concentrating on a few exhibits each visit, getting to know the behavior of a few animals at a time was more productive was a better strategy.

Some very nice captures of some gorgeous birds -- they look to be considerably more refined in their mating compared to the rough treatment that Mallards (by far the most obviously dominant species) show their mates around here.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 1:38 PM   #6

Wow, those are gorgeous birds, fantastic shots mate!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 1:38 PM   #7

The is so pretty its hard to believe the female is of the same species isn't it?
thanks for sharing Kevin.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 9:54 PM   #8

A lovely series. I've only seen this species once - I don't know that they still have them but there used to be a number of birds at the Flamingo's outside garden, and they had a couple of pairs. I was fascinated with them, they are so pretty. And yes, he seems to be very gentle with her.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 5:40 AM   #9

Thank you Scott ! Yes I'm very lucky in that regard (going to the zoo) as it only costs ca. US$6 to get in so for the price of a coffee I get to hang out for a few hours in a lovely environment, they have created some (natural ?) huge lakes there (9 in total) comprising maybe 1/4 of the whole zoo, so lots of bird action, both imported and local !

Thanks Ash, GW, Mtngal ! I see Mandarin Ducks quite often in South East Asia & the Far East so guess they must be indigenous to quite a few countries in the region.
Old May 24, 2010, 5:33 AM   #10

Really fine series with lovely color rendition and great portrayal of all the action!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote