Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2010, 1:46 PM   #1

Default Damselflies

Today has been unbearably hot, it's only 25c-ish but the humidity has been a nightmare, worse than when I was in Florida as well. The air con in work has been broken all day, so by the time it came to my lunchtime walk, I nearly gave up on the idea... Thankfully I decided to just go for it, and found dozens of damselflies, been waiting for these things for weeks, they have been late here.

One of the girls in work loved the above shot as she thought they looked like they were forming a heart shape. I thought it was *meh* but anyway.

I don't normally blow my own trumpet, but I am really happy with the above shot, he just looks so menacing, like he is about to pounce on you.

Bonus 100% crop of the above shot:

Was really lucky with these guys, they were so busy... you know... they didn't seem to care about me (until they finished) but even at f13 I had so many shots that weren't in focus, I only got 2.5 keepers.

Flickr is being weird, and the images aren't loading in the post, it's just giving me placeholder icons.

Let me know if you can't see them and I will change image hosts.

Last edited by Tachikoma; May 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 2:10 PM   #2

Hi Tachi,

They look good to me!

All are great captures. I really like the not usual perspective of the wings and the OOF guy in the background of #1, and you're right about the menacing look of #3. It's amazing how satisfying it can be when you finally get to look at your shots that you think were okay on the big screen, and they end up better than you had hoped.

Great colors on these guys too. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 2:35 PM   #3

Beautiful Tachi ! I just love dragons & damsels.

Unfortunately I don't see anything like that here
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 2:42 PM   #4

Ashely, these are Out standing!
BTW, I meant to email you yesterday but, keep forgetting.
I mailed your package, they said 8-14 days so hope you get it soon.
cheers,

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 4:12 PM   #5

Thanks all!

@snow

The OOF bit wasn't intentional, I was still fiddling with the settings on the camera as I didn't have my flashgun out yet, but I liked the effect as well.

@frog

Is that just around where you live? shame not to be able to see them, I was in my element chasing them around!

@gw

Thanks mate, send me a mail so I know what the total is and I will send it straight away!

Was quite a challenge getting these shots, I had to stand on a 45 degree bank covered in some sort of grass matting for the plants to take root in, that was covered in stinking dog mess, being careful that it didn't slip underneath me, and I end up in the lake. Had to take most of these with live view and the camera held at arms length, unless I fancied getting my feet wet!
Old May 21, 2010, 10:04 PM   #6

I like this set - the first one is fun with its smaller dof, unique and effective. The colors of these are really outstanding. The third one is a great face photo - does look fierce.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 3:42 AM   #7

Thanks mtngal!

The weather today is stunning (and not as muggy as yesterday) hoping to take my son out around the lake later today, and get some more photo's.
Old May 24, 2010, 5:31 AM   #8

Really fine photos - excellent use of DOF, great color quality & sharpness, and fine composition as well. Thanks for sharing!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 8:32 AM   #9

Stunning macro series, not going to say what I like better because that wouldn't be fair for the rest.

Keep up the great work

Ronny
Old May 24, 2010, 8:45 AM   #10
Super Moderator

these really are great. the first one is very impressive and the oof works quite well. i alsol liked #2 and #3, nice closeups. nice set, an interesting bug.