Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2010, 3:22 PM   #1

Default Question about vintage lenses

I currently have a Panasonic G1 and during the past months I bought several PK mount manual lenses. Now I'm considering buying the K-x. My question is, does the Kx have focus assist for when you use manual lenses? I had the K100D when it first came out and if I recall, by pressing the shutter half way and holding it while manually focusing on a subject, the camera would beep when it thought the image was in focus (or something like that, I can't remember). Does the K-x do the same or I have to go by what I see in the VF? Thanks.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 3:33 PM   #2

I'm sure someone with a Kx will confirm but I think the Kx is the same as the K7. On the K7 the small round focus light at the bottom of the viewfinder lights up and also the red focus point in the centre of the frame flashes on.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 4:03 PM   #3

Hi Tullio,

I think that the feature that you want is usually called focus confirmation. All Pentax DSLRs have this with a solidly lit light green hexagon in the viewfinder at the bottom of the screen, and an audible beep if you want it (it can be disabled if you don't like the beep -- personally, I keep it, and use it rather than looking for the visible cue).

With the Kx, there is no focus point indicator that lights up, but all the other Pentax DSLRs have them except for the Km/K2000. This is really not a big issue, but a lot of professional reviewers have raised this as one, and I think they make more of a big deal about it than is justified. The red focus point indicator does just that -- indicate which focus point either the user, or the camera (only in Auto Mode) chooses. If you only use center point focusing mode, like the great majority of shooters seem to, it's unnecessary for the camera to remind you every time that you're using the center point. The red LED indicator does not indicate that correct focus is confirmed, only which point is active in the AF system when confirming focus. It actually lights up just before focus is confirmed by the green hex at the bottom of the VF (and the beep, if active).

Except for the red focus point indicator, the Kx will act just as your K100 did. It's a great camera (though I don't own one), and I think you'd be very pleased with the outstanding sensor performance. The AF and Auto WB is also greatly improved over the K100, as well as just about every performance parameter you can imagine.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 5:43 PM   #4

It beeps when it has focus conformation. And if you look thought the vf, if the hexagon is solid green it is in focus. You can turn off the infocus beeping if you want also.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 21, 2010 at 7:07 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 7:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
I think that the feature that you want is usually called focus confirmation. All Pentax DSLRs have this with a solidly lit light green hexagon in the viewfinder at the bottom of the screen, and an audible beep if you want it (it can be disabled if you don't like the beep -- personally, I keep it, and use it rather than looking for the visible cue). ...
Thanks very much for the thorough explanation, Scott. That's exactly what I meant to say..."focus confirmation". I like the beep as well (I remember the K100D had it). As for the focus red led indicator, I think it's a big flaw (I'm not sure what Pentax was trying to save by not including it). However, I don't believe it would aggravate me that much because, as you mentioned, I also set the AF point on my cameras to "center". However, I wonder what happens if you don't. W/o the led indicator, how can one tell where the camera is actually focusing on?

Tullio
Old May 21, 2010, 7:11 PM   #6

The K-x has 2 brackets in the vf, and 2 auto af, a 5 point in the inner bracket and the 11 points with the outer bracket. The area of the inner bracket is pretty close. It is when you use 11 points that it can be an AF issue. When I do not chose manual points. I set it to the 5 points AF. And try to keep the subject within the inner bracket.
Old May 21, 2010, 7:19 PM   #7

It sounds tricky to me. Why did Pentax do that???

Tullio
Old May 21, 2010, 7:24 PM   #8

It is pretty simple to use, I used it on this thread while tracking bif's It actually makes sense. You have more control in a clutter area.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html

ignore the back an forth on this thread, but it show the AF 5 points works well

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...entax-k-x.html
Old May 21, 2010, 11:30 PM   #9

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Another focus trick with manual lenses is trap-focus, also called Catch-In-Focus (CIF). When the camera is set up for CIF and you use a manual lens, you hold the shutter down -- then when you bring a subject into focus, or something moves into focus in the image, the shutter snaps. It's like cheap autofocus. I use CIF extensively with most manual lenses on my K20D.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:28 AM   #10

Yeah, I remember using this trick with my K100D. Thanks for refreshing my memory!

Tullio