Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 22, 2010, 5:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
If the calendar says 22 May, why did my cars look like this when I woke up this morning?
There must be a mistake, someone is playing a joke on me. It can't look like this outside:
No mistake. It's expected again this coming week. Beautiful in the lowlands, and the temperature is just right - Highs along the coast in the 60's. We have a cool ocean current along the shore, straight from Alaska - nature's air conditioner.

Last edited by penolta; May 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 6:01 PM   #12

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

mtngal,
I'm located about 275 miles north of you, between Stockton and Lake Tahoe at 3500 feet, with the sun shining down... and snow falling lightly in the 40f air. One year ago, temp was in the 90s. The weather, it has its own rhythm. And global warming doesn't mean hotter weather, it means more energetic weather, with more and weirder storms. But I could sure use a heat wave over the next few days...

PS: I'm really really tired of snow.
Old May 22, 2010, 6:37 PM   #13

week or so ago we had some pretty hard frosts and snow here in scotland - by no means the usual but not unheard of either
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 9:30 PM   #14

The funny thing is that I love snow, one of the reasons that I live so far from work and at close to 6,000 feet. Every fall I can't wait for the first snow, I get so tired of snow. It's just that I'm not used to seeing it so late in the year.

RioRico - you live in a beautiful area, Gold Country. I've visited a couple of places in the area. Though I am a bit surprised it's snowing that low - I would have guessed snow levels would have been higher.

penolta - I haven't checked my usual weather forecast in the past couple of days - nice to hear that more stuff is expected. The nice thing about all this wet stuff is that the fire hazard is pretty low right now, and should stay that way for a while. Unfortunately, lots of stuff that don't normally grow are going crazy and it's possible the fire danger this fall could be higher than normal, if we have a hot summer. Maybe it will stay cool this year? Not likely...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 12:32 AM   #15

90 degrees in North Alabama today.
Old May 23, 2010, 9:02 AM   #16

Dawg - I'd rather have -4 C and snow than 90 degrees and humid any day.

Penolta was right, it snowed again last night. This time the snow stuck on the ground, a nice dusting. Looks odd with the green grass peeking up. It won't last long, but that's OK.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:14 AM   #17

I'm from the SF Bay Area and this has been one crazy spring over here (weather wise). I take my dog for a walk every night and these past few nights I had to wear my winter jacket, so cold it was. We should be getting a sun tan for crying out loud! It totally sucks!

Nicely documented, Harriet.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 11:24 AM   #18

Hi Harriet,

We're just getting our first real string breaking into the 70's here around Chicago. This is about the latest that I haven't totally switched to shorts and a tee to go outside. . .

Scott

Edit:-- of course I wrote this before going outside today, and it ended up in the 90's. . .

Last edited by snostorm; May 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 8:52 PM   #19

Well, I finally looked at the weather forecast I often read - looks like there could be some rain in the middle of the week. That's much more normal for our area at this time of year.

The only thing I can say, Tullio, is that this weather is staving off our usual fire danger. I'm not complaining too loudly, just laughing and making jokes about it must be the first day of deer season and things like that.

Scott - that's a big weather swing for one day! It's always hard to take when it does that, the first couple of days are always a killer. Glad it warmed up for you.
Old May 23, 2010, 9:23 PM   #20

Harriet, i was caught outdoors in sunny Santa Monica this morning in shirtsleeve weather when that front passed through - the sky darkened, the temperature plunged, and the wind was ferocious - the wind chill made it feel like it was in the 30's. After a while of that we gave up and retreated to the warm car and headed home, where it was sunny and 70 degrees. All the while from the freeway we could see the clouds hanging over the mountains, snowing. If you don't like the weather in California, either wait a while or cross to the other side of the street!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote