Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2010, 9:01 AM   #11
Super Moderator

very nice mole.

loved the lush greens of the moss in the second set. the newt's are just cute and contrast very well on the moss, i guess they don't go for camouflage. lol

other highlights for me was the first of the yellow mt gap 1st shot. i like the bit of yellow foregound and the mist in the mountains.

the foggy soggy trail shot has a nice atmosphere as well, but i think a lower perspective may have worked as well.

the bug shots are gorgeous. i loved the first butterfly spread out with colors showing. and the 3rd dragonfly with the emphasis so nicely on the big eyes. and the damselflies or whatever they are hooked together, very nice.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:30 PM   #12

Great series Mole,

first thought I would say the newts would be my favorites, because we don't have them but those two fog shots are supper.

That dragonfly behind that piece of grass is comming close to a shot I've been trying to get, but then with a damselfly and only it's eyes sticking out on each side (incl legs...).

Great work

Ronny
Old May 26, 2010, 6:02 AM   #13

Dustin - Thanks as always for the helpful, kind & specific critique! You are quite right that efts don't go for camouflage - apparently they must be really bad-tasting critters - I've never seen anything even try to eat them. Glad you liked the Golden Ragwort border on the Mt shot - that was one of my favorites too. I had thought about trying the foggy trail at other perspectives, but my impatient dogs wouldn't let me. (Taking dogs along on the hike makes it more fun, but also makes for fewer and less thought-out photos!!!)

Ronny - Thanks so much! So glad you enjoyed these. Your damselfly idea sounds like a real winner - will look forward to seeing your success with it soon!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 7:10 AM   #14

It's always a pleasure and inspiring to browse the photos in your threads. I swear if I ever make my way down to tennessee I will visit one of these beautiful parks. At least I get to experience them through your photos.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 2:46 PM   #15

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 5:34 PM   #16

As always, another great series. I have a question - 14 mile mountain hike? How long would that take - 4 hours for a seasoned veteran like yourself? 4 days for me?

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 5:54 AM   #17

Mike - Thanks for your very kind words - so glad you enjoy these, and hope you will (someday soon?) get to enjoy the far more lovely real scenes of East Tennessee! PS - thanks for your sharing of your beautiful corner of the world as well!

GW - He did make a beautiful earth, didn't He!

Jim - Glad you enjoyed the hike! When I lead a hike with fairly experienced hikers, I usually plan for an average speed of 2 miles per hour - to allow time for eating, pausing to enjoy views, etc. When I hike with the camera and without other hikers, it's usually slower. But with my frisky dogs, and not too many stops, we usually average 3-4 miles per hour. This hike took us about 5-6 hours.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 1:03 PM   #18

Mate, it's always a pleasure seeing your photo's, awesome as usual, but that eft(?) photo is just superb!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 1:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
By the time we got to Yellow Mt Gap (not quite 4 miles up), the clouds were moving in quite quickly across the mountains!
Really wonderful shots.. especially the first one! Would make a lovely postcard
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 1:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
When the rains started, the camera went back in the pack, so I can't show you photos of the thick fog on Hump Mt, or the thoroughly muddy but very happy dogs!
Did get a few shots of the soggy trail between the heavy rains:

Love that trail shot. Fog makes it just right!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote