Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2010, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Another Portrait Shot

C&C Please
shubonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2010, 11:32 PM   #2

It could be my monitor, but the skin-tones look a little off. I'm no good at figuring out colors when they are off. The eyes look right, so I wonder what your light source was or if there was light reflecting off of a non-white surface or something? Or it could be my monitor, so don't go by just my word.

Again, it may be my monitor, but I think it looks a bit soft, especially the eyes. I noticed that you used f4.5. You don't have any distracting background, I think you might have been better off using a smaller aperture and getting the whole face in focus (that's my opinion, for the most part, I like all of the face to be in focus and the eyes sharp). It's easier to smooth/soften skin than it is to properly sharpen eyes (and make it look right without being obviously sharpened).

I don't shoot portraits at all, so I'm not the best one to judge framing. I've seen people say you shouldn't cut off the hair (top and back), then others tell someone else with a different shot that they could crop closer - so I don't know the right answer for that.

Anyway, take these comments as personal preferences from someone who rarely shoots people and never does portraits.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 11:51 PM   #3

There is a flash 45 degrees to subject left and a filler flash in front. I changed the white balance a bit and i think its a bit better? BTW, i appreciate the input! I was going for the "head shot" type of portrait.

Old May 25, 2010, 6:22 PM   #4

The second one does look better. I don't want to sound like I'm picking apart your photo especially since I'm no expert at portraits myself but, I'll offer feedback the way I'd want others to do for me when I want to improve my shots.
To add to what harriet mentioned, I think a softer light (right front) would allow more contrast and it would also allow the light on subjects left to fill in the slight shadow on the shoulder and the nose shadow on the cheek. Just my 2 cents
, keep up the good work.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 7:48 PM   #5

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Is that a bruise under the left eye? Ah, an artifact of nose shadow...

OK, I'm not a dedicated portraitist, but I've shot more than a few. I generally use more dramatic light -- either side-lit with less fill for a more 3D look, or with a ringflash for a flat high-contrast dead-ahead approach. Experiment: with a life-size bust (or a very patient subject) take a series of shots with flash(es) variously located in your mini-studio. See what happens with shadows, textures, tones. Then for any specific subject, you can decide on softness vs sharpness, DOF, contrast, etc.
Old May 31, 2010, 9:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice guys, i appreciate it!

Here's some shots from a recent shoot with some actors, what do you guys think?:

Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:41 PM   #7

I like the second one of your second set - it's clear and I like the framing. His expression isn't the greatest, but the photography portion of it is nice. Your girl is cute and looks good in both pictures. This isn't my type of photography at all, but I think I would crop the first one of her differently - I think if you are going to crop her hair that it would look better if you cropped the bottom more, so it's a closer portrait. The last one looks like a cute casual picture and she's got a great smile.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:01 AM   #8

Please forgive me but I had to try a different colorspace for your uoung model in the first photo. I copied that photo then loaded it in photoshop and converted the colorspace to Pro Photo color space for a warmer look. I then converted it back to sRGB color space before saving it and posting here. Looks better to me this way but then again we all have differing opinions. What do you think?
Attached Images