Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2010, 5:25 AM   #11

Looks IMHO a lot better,

Concerning making it to light or dark it's a combination with how you feel the shot should look like and having not to many blown out or black areas as possible.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have pure black, or white in a shot.
Most of the time I find that I need a tiny bit of both to make it pop but in the unprocessed version there was (again imho) a bit to much of that black. This is not a rule just something I start of with and how it ends up I'll see in the end.

An example where I couldn't have more blow out area's and don't mind them. (My daughter this weekend).
Cheers

Ronny

ps. just noticed that the histograms I added with previous post weren't there so I uploaded them.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:11 AM   #12

Ronny, many, many thanks for taking time out to help and for all your advice. Along with mtngal and few others, the advice has been so helpful... just wanted you to know it is appreciated.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 1:42 PM   #13

Right excuse the really quick and dirty photoshop, I would like to see it something like this, although I am terrible at landscapes and things like that, have no eye for them at all.
Attached Images

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 2:06 PM   #14

Oi, mate, I will have one soon... Just waiting for a sunnier day.

Ned
Old May 25, 2010, 10:08 PM   #15

I felt left out so threw my own in. great job everyone

i thought this pic looked more atmospheric left on the softer side but sharpened the trees a bit with ground. Tried to balance the colors a bit and accent the sun. I liked the shadows same as you, so I tried to keep them dark.

NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 1:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
I felt left out so threw my own in. great job everyone

i thought this pic looked more atmospheric left on the softer side but sharpened the trees a bit with ground. Tried to balance the colors a bit and accent the sun. I liked the shadows same as you, so I tried to keep them dark.
Hiya! Many thanks, always looking for ways to improve my post-processing skills.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:52 AM   #17

Ned -
Glad to see you are enjoying your new K-7. Looks like a lovely scene, and lovingly "tweaked" by several masters of PP.

If you want to add curves adjustment to your PSE, you might want to look into Grant's Tools. It's a free add-on to Photoshop Elements that gives you full control of curves. I find it very helpful (and free plugins are a lot cheaper than buying Photoshop!)

http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Cha...ols/index.html
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 6:11 AM   #18

Thanks a mil, Mole! I have download the file from link you sent, but looking at their instructions (which are for PSE 3)... and I have PSE8, I am not sure how to install curves. If it is not too much trouble, could you help me with this? Many kind thanks, indeed.

Ned
Old May 27, 2010, 5:49 AM   #19

Ned - Be sure you downloaded the version for PSE 8 - it's on this page of their website:

http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Challenge/Tools/Files.html

After you "unzip" the download, you will see that it includes a file called "Install Read Me.txt" with instructions on where to install each of the files, and also about the file (Mediadatabase.db3 ) you have to locate and rename. Once all that is done right, you should see Grant's Tools as one of your filter options.

Note that I am using PSE version 6 on a Mac, so PSE 8 on windows is a bit different, but this is supposed to work with 8 on windows just as well.

Sure hope this works - let me know if there are any other problems…
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 6:17 AM   #20

Thanks Mole, but the instructions in the Readme are not not clear to me for PSE8... I have tried and tried, but just can't seem to get it work. Thanks though for your help.

Ned