Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2010, 5:14 PM   #1

Default Is this photo ok for a new Pentax?

Hi all!

Below is a picture I took today, in between rain showers. There was a few moments where the sun broke through the clouds, otherwise it was a gray and cloudy and rainy day. Anyway, I thought I would not let weather stop me from learning to use my new K7 and the PSE8 that I got with it.

Question: What do you think of the picture below, which I only resized in PSE8. Remember, I am using a kit lense. Any recommendations? Are there any specific settings???

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Attached Images

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2010, 6:17 PM   #2

To me, and that's just me, the dock shouldn't be in the middle of the picture. On the good side the exposure is very nice and the colors are good too. The clouds stand out nicely and because they are interesting perhaps it would have been good to move up and get more of them in the shot. So there's me 2 cents and congrats on buying a great camera!
Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 6:30 PM   #3

Hmmm have to agree with Lyrics, while it's a good shot, taking it a lot closer to the dock and keeping the tree's out of the shot would have been nice.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 8:47 PM   #4

The area of shadow in the foreground has detail and the brighter sky and water in the background seems to be also exposed properly with good colours. To me you have a properly exposed image with the settings used.

After more than a year, I am still working through all the various combinations and settings on my K200D. I try to take shots using the various settings and modes in order to compare results to see what works and what doesn't in different situations.

Have fun and enjoy.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5

Hi Ned -- you might give the photo a bit more "pop" by adjusting the lighting with the levels command. I don't have PSE 8, in PSE6 you go Enhance > Adjust Lighting > Levels. I would think that by adjusting levels you might find the picture more appealing.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 11:36 PM   #6

Hi guys! and, thanks for your feedback and suggestions. As for composition, what you didn't know (no worries about that)... what you didn't know is that that "THIS" spot is something my wife likes, and so she wants me to take a picture EVERY MONTH for the whole year. Soooo, I went to this exact spot for that reason.

Other than resizing on PSE8, I purposesly wanted to show what the camera produces without any monkeying around to improve the photo... I know that all sorts of things can be done in PSE8 (for sure!).

I guess that my concern is that I that I thought there would be more sharpness in the leaves. I don't know, I think I am a hopeless perfectionist.

But many thanks for all your words and advice and helpful cc.

All the best.

Ned
Old May 25, 2010, 12:15 AM   #7

I think it could be a bit brighter, and you could add some sharpening to it once you resized it. Also, you'd probably be better off resizing to 800 pixels wide to post here - you'll run over the software's size limitation and have the program compress it too much when you use 1024.

I took the liberty (hope you don't mind) of downloading your picture, resizing to 800 pixels wide, then using the filter "smart sharpen" with values 0.1 pixels and 100% (fine sharpening), click OK then use the filter "unsharp mask" with values 53 pixels and 12% (this adds contrast, not really sharpens). Then I used curves to lighten it a bit (I used an adjustment layer, but you don't have to. I like adjustment layers because I can always change them if I decide I don't like what I did). I mostly lightened the mid-tones and the shadows a bit, leaving the real darks alone.

Let me know what you think of the edit.

P.S. It's not hugely different than yours, and I think I over-did the fine sharpening.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 12:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I think it could be a bit brighter, and you could add some sharpening to it once you resized it.

>> Harriet, after resizing, the photo suddenly becomes tiny and goes to the left courner... It is too difficult to see anything... How do I keep the photo so that fills the screen so that I can see what I am doing?

Also, you'd probably be better off resizing to 800 pixels wide to post here - you'll run over the software's size limitation and have the program compress it too much when you use 1024.

>> Ok, that is clear as crystal, thanks!

I took the liberty (hope you don't mind) of downloading your picture, resizing to 800 pixels wide, then using the filter "smart sharpen" with values 0.1 pixels and 100% (fine sharpening), click OK then use the filter "unsharp mask" with values 53 pixels and 12% (this adds contrast, not really sharpens). Then I used curves to lighten it a bit (I used an adjustment layer, but you don't have to. I like adjustment layers because I can always change them if I decide I don't like what I did). I mostly lightened the mid-tones and the shadows a bit, leaving the real darks alone.

>>No, I don't mind one bit... Thanks!!! I don't mean to appear as not being the brightest crayon in the box, but where is the "SMART SHARPEN"?
Many kind thanks.

Ned
Old May 25, 2010, 3:20 AM   #9

hmmm, would be great if it was a canikon

I know that was to easy and not called for.

I guess the camera has taken the exposure settings from the center of the shot so that is perfectly in the center of the graph. Only that is the brightest part of the shot.
So the rest of the picture is located to the left side of the graph giving it a rather dark look.

Now getting this shot correctly exposed isn't easy with any camera, easiest way would have been to take the picture look at the histogram on the display and change the ev to get it as wanted.

That's good but you've got the shot so what to do with it.

The size and sharpning has already been spoken of (don't know where that is in pse).
I would go further and try to get it a bit lighter.
I don't know pse, but there must be something like levels there and I would take a look at that first, and then try out curves.

Playing around a few minutes gave me this.

where the histogram is more centered and it's not that full black anymore.

So it's a normal shot for a Pentax, or any other camera.

Cheers

Ronny

Last edited by rhermans; May 25, 2010 at 6:14 AM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 5:58 AM   #10

Cheers Ronny! Many kind thanks, indeed, for your taking time to help. It really appeciated.

Ok, here is what I have done... First the original (with resizing). Secondly, my attempt at PSE8, hopefully making it lighter. I am rather hesitant to do too much, since the shadows were dark, and if I add too much light, I lose quality of the sand on the beach.

Note that in the second picture, one can see a little more detail in the tree on the left. In my opinion, the photo is sharpened so that pine needles and tree leaves look presentable... at least in my opinion.

Again, many kind thanks. I just want to get this right so as to not upload photos that really "need" processing.

All the best.

Ned
Attached Images