Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2010, 2:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Thanks Jack !

I use Aperture 3 - I love it so much I haven't even bothered installing CS4 & Elements on my laptop. I'm sure it can do it - I'm just not exactly sure what I have to do to save them.
Hm..mm !, not familiar with that one, so can't offer advice, I haven't used anything but Photoshop for several years now. I'm sure we've all made that mistake with camera settings WB etc. It's so easily done. hope you recover your shots OK. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 2:53 PM   #12

Ff,
If you do install CS4, on the notebook, to get the result I did

1. Open a colour correction layer

2. set the yellow/blue slider to approx -60 on midtones

3.switch to highlights, and set the yellow/blue slider to approx -30

you could also juggle the other sliders to improve the match to more like original

I note you prefer not to work in layers, if you do make sure you work on a copy, and open Image/Adjustments/ Colour Balance ... above settings should give you a starting point. ... Jack.
Old May 25, 2010, 3:05 PM   #13

Thanks Jack !

Aperture 3 is awesome - if you have a Mac download a trial. Brilliant program, it beats the pants off of LR3 (beta), which I've used for 4/5 months, for me.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 3:11 PM   #14

Just checked the web on how to do it in aperture,but i guess the video below should help.
I don't know how much the program has changed but i guess the video below should help ( its for version2 )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIjayQbG7Wc

ps lightroom can do this to

Last edited by rhermans; May 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 3:44 PM   #15

Hi FF,

Here's my try -- I used ColorWasher2 to get the color cast closer to what I thought might be appropriate and brought down the overall exposure a bit, then the Flash Fill tool in PSPXII to brighten the shadows (strength+50, saturation -20), I then selected the bear and the shadows and increased the brightness and contrast a bit, then locally sharpened with Focus Magic. I used the Saturation tool to desaturate parts of the bear that were still a bit too blue. Last step was to use the clone brush in darken mode with an opacity of about 30% to darken and add some texture to the blown out areas. Using the clone tool's different modes had been a lifesaver to me in a lot of different situations, and is one of the most overlooked aspect ot the tool offered by most editing programs, IMO.

It took about 5 min, but I've had some practice at this. . .

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 11:52 PM   #16

niice photo. mine still came out too purpley in the jpeg. hmm. Ill have to admit it took quite a few layers to get the trees lighting balanced

Last edited by NMRecording; May 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 12:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Just checked the web on how to do it in aperture,but i guess the video below should help.
I don't know how much the program has changed but i guess the video below should help ( its for version2 )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIjayQbG7Wc

ps lightroom can do this to
Thanks Ronny - yes, I've been using that method because my WB was so far off in this series, then adjusting using Curves, Levels and every other slider in the set ! Doesn't seem to be a way to save the blown highlights completely though (I guessed there wasn't).

I'm really interested to see if it's savable because there are some nice shots of the female aggressively rebuking the male's amorous advances. Not shots I can get again unless I'm really lucky.

Thanks again for your efforts !
Old May 26, 2010, 12:14 AM   #18

Thanks Scott ! I think if I take Ronny's bear and insert it into your environment then problem solved

Thanks for taking the time !
Old May 26, 2010, 12:50 AM   #19

Wow NMR that's a great effort ! The purple is easy to overcome - there is a green / purple slider in the WB controls of A3. The bear colours look natural - maybe just need warming up a touch, and the tree looks great, again maybe just needs warming up a touch.

OK - I've taken your version and .....
1. Warmed it up to 6,250K
2. Moved the tint from purple towards green (-7).
3. I then applied sharpening to the bear with the local quick brush.
4. Applied burn in a couple of places
5. Cloned the tree in places where the highlights could not be recovered.

This was really a tough task for me to ask of you guys ! Thank you so much for all your time & efforts !
Attached Images

Old May 26, 2010, 6:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Thanks Jack !

Aperture 3 is awesome - if you have a Mac download a trial. Brilliant program, it beats the pants off of LR3 (beta), which I've used for 4/5 months, for me.
Doh !, it should have clicked that it was Mac software, brain mustn't have been in gear last night. It does explain why I'm not familiar though, I'm a PC man, and have always built my own ... there were apple clones way back, pretty sure you can't build a mac these days. LOL ... Jack.