Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1

Default Help me save this series !

Unfortunately when I hit the Raw button I didn't realise I had it set to a single shot Result is that everything was shot in Jpg and to compound matters I also forgot to reset the WB from the previous evening so, although I noticed after this Sun Bear series and re-set it, these shots seem to be unredeemable.

A. An original from the series - you see my problems.
B. Is one from the series that I've tried to resurrect, in colour, not good.
C. Converted one to B&W with a mild HDR effect - what do you think ?

What would you do ?
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2010, 12:44 PM   #2

Here's one I ran through GIMP and used the auto white balance option. To be honest though, my colourblindness is pretty severe, so it could be bright pink with purple spots for all I know.
Attached Images

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 12:50 PM   #3

Ha ha ! Thanks Ash. Looks really soft though & the highlights are still an issue ! I have tried all of the 'Auto everything' settings in Aperture 3 as well as playing with WB, Curves and Levels and I just can't seem to balance the bear with the tree and save the blown highlights. I think I will have to use the brushes in A3 because you can apply them locally to the areas that need them rather than just to the whole picture.

This is going to get tiresome though as I have a lot of shots in this series (I think it was a male trying his luck with one of the females - but he took a helluva beating and ended up with big chunks of fur missing all over his paws and head) !
Old May 25, 2010, 12:55 PM   #4

Yeah the softness is probably me forgetting to save at 100% and then the forum software shaving a few kb off as well when I uploaded it.

I only uploaded it as it looked different enough from the original and one you tried colour correcting. I really can't tell you what the colours came out as or if they look natural...
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 1:00 PM   #5

First used curves to set a neutral graypoint to get rid of the purple (used a claw as reference spot),
then duplicated this layer setting overlay method to multiply - opacity 69%
Took the original and converted it to grayscale, added this as top layer - overlay method - luminosity 31%
Combined this into the result and sharpened a bit with noise ninja (default settings)
Almost forgot - used photoshop (any version can do this)

Hope this is going in the right direction

Cheers

Ronny

(PS: the B&W version looks great)

Last edited by rhermans; May 25, 2010 at 1:12 PM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 1:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Unfortunately when I hit the Raw button I didn't realise I had it set to a single shot Result is that everything was shot in Jpg and to compound matters I also forgot to reset the WB from the previous evening so, although I noticed after this Sun Bear series and re-set it, these shots seem to be unredeemable.

A. An original from the series - you see my problems.
B. Is one from the series that I've tried to resurrect, in colour, not good.
C. Converted one to B&W with a mild HDR effect - what do you think ?

What would you do ?
Hi,
Don't know what software you have, but basically you need to apply colour correction, my take below was done in photoshop ... I've eliminated a lot of the blue cast in highlights, and midtones by adding yellow, no doubt it could be improved upon by juggling other sliders, but for me not having seen the original scene, it's difficult to judge. to get it spot on could be very time consuming. hope this helps you . ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 1:13 PM   #7

I should really learn how to use photo editing software...
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 1:17 PM   #8

The bear looks so much better Ronny ..... and I could then use Local Brushes to get rid of the remnants of the blown highlights on the top & side of the tree. However I've no idea on how to replicate your workflow in A3 (which is much easier for me as it takes away the need for masks) !!
Old May 25, 2010, 1:19 PM   #9

Haha Ronnie, you pipped me to the post ... you must have posted while I was processing the pic. I like your result, and must make a note of your PP, Thanks. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 1:20 PM   #10

Thanks Jack !

I use Aperture 3 - I love it so much I haven't even bothered installing CS4 & Elements on my laptop. I'm sure it can do it - I'm just not exactly sure what I have to do to save them.