Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 27, 2010, 6:36 PM   #1

Default Testing new macro set up...

Yesterday, my latest LBA acquisition arrived in the mail. I bid on a manual focus Vivitar 135mm f:35 I wasn't that interested in it but, for $10 I thought why not get it to play with? One question I have is, this lens says AUTO on the front. Its not an "A" lens, no contacts on the mount at all and of course its manual focus. So, what the heck is auto about it?

I set up the camera in the studio (the dining room table) with an incandescent flood in front of the subject to aid me in focusing and used the 540 flash mounted on camera for proper exposure. I made a makeshift holder to hold a dime with a black background. first shot is the bare 135mm @ f:11
camera approximately 5ft from subject.
I'll rate this lens as pretty good but, not great.

next a couple taken with the 135 plus the Vivitar 2X TC.
Surprising to me is the Vivitar TC shows more deterioration with the Vivitar lens than when coupled to my Tamron.

Next, I decided to see what I could do with my 28mm f:28 macro lens mounted with a revers adapter. It was a bit disapointing but hey, who would want to use a 28mm Macro anyway?

Moved in a little closer.

Now I had to try it with the 2X TC. distance was about one inch from target.

Well, so much for that idea. magnification is great but, could get any clearer than this.
My overall conclusion... stick with the SP90.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; May 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2010, 6:45 PM   #2

For $10 it looks perfectly fine with the TC to me!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 2:29 AM   #3

$10 - that's no price at all ... at least you had some fun testing it.

cheers

Ronny
Old May 28, 2010, 3:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Yesterday, my latest LBA acquisition arrived in the mail. I bid on a manual focus Vivitar 135mm f:35 I wasn't that interested in it but, for $10 I thought why not get it to play with? One question I have is, this lens says AUTO on the front. Its not an "A" lens, no contacts on the mount at all and of course its manual focus. So, what the heck is auto about it?
Man/Auto on M42 lenses.
As far as I am aware, and someone please correct me if this is wrong because this is just what I understand from researching having bought some M42 lenses over the last 2 months, normally M42 lenses mounted on K-mount bodies means no auto stop-down function. However if the lens has an Auto-Manual switch, then it's no problem you can use that, however if it does not, then you are stuck at full aperture. Should work fine on K20D or K7 though because you can use the Green Button (as I do).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 1:52 PM   #5

Thanks guys,
Yeah, for $10 bucks, I'm not complaining, I'll use this lens at times.
Kev, this isn't an M42, its a K mount. When I push the green button, nothing changes.

Old May 28, 2010, 6:11 PM   #6

Quote:
this lens says AUTO on the front. Its not an "A" lens, no contacts on the mount at all and of course its manual focus. So, what the heck is auto about it?
Auto means auto diaphragm, fully open and stopping down to the preset aperture only when triggered (it has a coupling lever to actuate the diaphragm). A fully manual lens is stopped down to the preset aperture (also called a preset lens) before the exposure is made. The green button may have no effect because there are no electrical contacts.

Looks like the setup works just fine.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 11:08 AM   #7

Ah ha. Thank you Pen, now I understand!
Funny how the same word has different meanings depending on what its relating to.
I sure do appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it with us.
Thanks again.

Old May 29, 2010, 1:01 PM   #8

GW, I only know this because I am old enough to have used these when they were the latest and greatest advances in photographic technology. You young bucks are just discovering the obsolescent technologies we old folks abandoned years ago in favor of the newest latest and greatest advances. If it weren't for guys like you and Dawg, plus Pentax's genius in maintaining compatibility like no other maker, they would be totally obsolete by now and filling the junkyards instead of our closets (I can't get of them, either).

Last edited by penolta; May 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote