Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2010, 11:43 PM   #11

Beautiful, as ever, Mole. You asked for preference for some shots ? Head on. I like to see those big eyes on the Blue Dashers ! However the best are the 3rd shot of the Spangled Skimmer and 2nd shot of the Widow Skimmers both of which are perfect for me, with eyes and wings both perfectly posed.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 11:52 PM   #12

Wonderful photos. You are a better man than I when it comes to the patience to get these guys. I love dragonflies, and have a lot of them in my yard, but little success in shooting them.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:43 AM   #13

Great series Mole!
I can just see the headlines...
World Renowned Nature Photographer Survives the Attack of the Widow Skimmers!
The shutter speed on first one was perfect for showing the wing motion, to bad it wasn't more in focus. I learned something new, didn't know the female blue dasher had red eyes. I find the wings of the Widow Skimmers quite interesting, have yet to capture any that nice.
I too prefer the frontal shots of dragonflies because the face is so interesting but, that's not always possible and your side shots turned out really nice. keep up the good work

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:46 AM   #14

Magnificent series, like the female blue dashers pose best, and its color.

Ronny
Old May 30, 2010, 9:57 PM   #15

i love them! the "naturalist" in me loves the more field-guide-esque shots, especially the second widow skimmer, and the third and last blue dashers. (although, come to think of it, those are the more artistic shots, so maybe it is the artist in me that loves them : ) ) but something about that first common white tail intrigues me. although not technically as "good" as the others, the motion captured really is quite fantastic.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 9:59 PM   #16

i like the pond hawk's wings, but that's not you that did that. haha. but, it's wings look more angled-forward than the other kinds. is that just this one, or is there a reason for it? ps. have a good first day of summer programs tomorrow!!
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 7:23 PM   #17

Penolta - Thanks so much for your kind, complimentary and helpful comments!

Tachikoma - Just let me know when you are coming...

Frogfish - Thanks for the carefully thought-out feedback. A big help!

Paul - Dragonflies in the yard are harder than those in the pond - much less likely to perch, much more likely to keep on cruising!

GW - That's some scary headline!! So glad you enjoyed these...

Ronny - Thanks so much!

Vole - Thanks again for your (as always) helpful & insightful comments! Such a big help! You're quite right - us humans had nothing to do with the design of those amazing wings!! It does seem to be a typical posture for the pondhawks - not sure why... Glad you liked the blurry female white tail - I plan to try to get some better ones of her soon.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote