Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1

Default Outdoor Portraits 2..... More strobe experiements

I continue to try to develop a system of shooting outdoor portraits in which I have confidence that all my flashes will fire; at the same time, I'm experimenting with trying new ways to get light on faces in a way that highlights the model's best facial features. My wireless trigger system worked for about a dozen shots before quitting on me, so I switched to using the on-camera flash as a light trigger and setting the strobes as slaves. If I didn't want the on-camera flash dominating, it meant that I had to back off and use a longer lens.

Each of these is shot with the K-7...the first ones with a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8....and the rest with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.

The first shot is the only one of the group that was fired with the wireless trigger with two off-camera flashes through umbrellas

This was using the on-camera flash as the keylight with two strobes from the left...one in front of her and the other firing from behind...umbrellas not used.

We were shooting at a park with a playground, and what teenager could resist?

Upside down on a slide?

Still a long way to go to get consistency, but I liked some of these.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2010, 11:50 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I really like the lighting on these Paul...very nicely done. The composition on #3 is my favorite...the blue from the background goes well with her pretty blue eyes! Also, nice bokeh in #1.

As a minor suggestion, you might crop to include all the fingers in the hands on #1 and #3 (sorry...I'm being ultra ultra picky)!.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 11:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
As a minor suggestion, you might crop to include all the fingers in the hands on #1 and #3 (sorry...I'm being ultra ultra picky)!.

Jehan
Thanks for the compliments, Jehan. I really wish I could crop to include the full fingers.....unfortunately, they were cut off in the original shots.

Paul
Old May 29, 2010, 12:26 AM   #4

As Jehan said - great lighting. I particularly thought #2 was beautifully lit. Again being really picky I would ask your daughter to wear those bras with 'invisible straps' (#4) !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 12:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
As Jehan said - great lighting. I particularly thought #2 was beautifully lit. Again being really picky I would ask your daughter to wear those bras with 'invisible straps' (#4) !
LOL, Frogfish.....I agree with you on the bra straps. When I grew up, all parts of underclothing were to be hidden. Today's teenagers simply don't see it the same way. To me, it "tacky" rather than obscene, but I'm just a conservative old man.

BTW, Liz is not my daughter, but one of my students. She is one of a small group of students in my AP Psychology class I offered a free photo shoot in exchange for patience while I experiment with lighting. One of the conditions of the shoot was that her mother, or another adult female (e.g. my wife) be present at all times.

I did run into one other thing on this shoot that I hadn't encountered before. Liz brought her boyfriend. I was a little concerned that she might be reticent about posing, or that she would go to the other extreme. I involved him from the start of the shoot, carrying and holding lights, and he never became a distraction. Rather, I made him an asset to the shoot.

Paul
Old May 29, 2010, 5:52 AM   #6

Great shots!

A friend of mine got taken to the cleaners on one of those "25 portrait" deals, and walked away with a 2,000 canvas after their high-pressure sale. We are coming to an arrangement where he purchases a similar umbrella setup, and I get free use, giving him all the family portraits he wants on demand.

You are a lucky man having ready access to all these potential models! if/when I get the lights, I was thinking of offering similar free learner lessons, good idea about involving the chaperones!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 11:53 AM   #7

Great series, good idea to keep the boyfriend working

Ronny
Old May 31, 2010, 8:58 PM   #8

Very nicely done! I thought the flash a bit hot in the last one, but the others are really nice. Which flashes are you using off-camera - Pentax flashes or something else? The reason I asked is that if you are using Pentax flashes wirelessly, you can set the on-board flash to be a control only and not provide any light to the scene, but other flashes don't necessarily work this way. I don't know much about flash so quite a bit of what I read about set-up goes way over my head and I could have mis-understood your post.

I like #2 and 3 the best.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote