Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 29, 2010, 11:33 PM   #1

Default Ithaca is Gorges...

If you are from around this region you've probably seen shirts with that line on them... Well, today we ventured to Ithaca NY area, visited a couple of states parks named after the waterfalls that reside there: Taughannock Falls and Buttermilk Falls. I just want to start out and apologize as these captures surely could have been much better, but the bright sunshine and weather really dictated things today and didn't help one bit. You take what you get sometimes. I guarantee I'll be back to hopefully do a better job next time.

Taughannock Falls, listed as New York state's highest waterfall, falling 215 feet, 33 feet higher than Niagara Falls. This view is from a lookout that is quite some distance from the falls overlooking a large gorge that the falls flow into. We had already made plans to hike down the gorge at Buttermilk Falls State Park so we didn't venture into this one.

This is one of the many small waterfalls along the gorge at Buttermilk Falls State Park, probably one of my better shots from today, handheld. I didn't get the "whole" picture so to speak because I was trying to avoid photographing the folks who waded into the water and were standing just below the falls here. Incidentally there were signs posted everywhere in this park stating that swimming and wading were not allowed. Go figure, tourists...

Buttermilk Falls, unfortunately this shot doesn't do justice to the falls. I've seen photos with much more water flowing, but today it was barely a trickle. It's been pretty warm and dry lately, and it's been fairly dry all spring as well. A lot of mention on the news lately about how the lake levels of Erie and Ontario have been lower due to the lack of snow melt from this winter, this probably is another reason the falls is very light right now. I'd definitely like to catch it at a better time.

And finally... Gotta end it off with the family.... Yeah, that's me with the kids, the wife snapped this one, not bad really.

Hope you enjoyed this, you can view more photos here: Ithaca Falls
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2010, 12:14 AM   #2

Some really lovely shots Mike - great looking family !

I hope you don't mind but they seem a little 'misty' in places so I've run one through A3.
1. Curves
2. Slightly increased Definition & Vibrancy
3. Burnt bottom right and the top & bottom of the waterfall to prevent highlights blowing out.

Could probably still do with a little more work but it's OK for 1 minute
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 4:34 AM   #3

Great shots!

Never been good at taking shots like these, I just can't seem to pull it off. Like the last photo of you and the kids as well, it's nice to put a face to a name.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 2:32 PM   #4

Nice to see a face to go with the name.

Living as close as I do to New York state, I find I do most, if not all of my camping/fishing there (mostly outside of Herkimer on the West Canada Creek). What appeals to me is that once I get outside of Buffalo/Niagara Falls it doesn't take too long before you get to a great many locations like you have pictured. I would venture that Western/Upper New York state has to be one of the best kept secrets.

Regards

Last edited by bluenose; May 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 5:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Some really lovely shots Mike - great looking family !

I hope you don't mind but they seem a little 'misty' in places so I've run one through A3.
1. Curves
2. Slightly increased Definition & Vibrancy
3. Burnt bottom right and the top & bottom of the waterfall to prevent highlights blowing out.

Could probably still do with a little more work but it's OK for 1 minute
I don't mind at all when someone does a little edit work on my photos. If it turns out better than it helps me. I will say that it was a rather hazy day yesterday around the finger lakes and the lookout to that falls is probably about a mile from the actual falls. It was a challenging day to take pictures overall as it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Great shots!

Never been good at taking shots like these, I just can't seem to pull it off. Like the last photo of you and the kids as well, it's nice to put a face to a name.
Thank you, landscapes shots have always been my favorites so I'm naturally drawn to take them. Just what we are most comfortable with. I avoid people photography like the plague because I just don't have any kind of eye for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
Nice to see a face to go with the name.

Living as close as I do to New York state, I find I do most, if not all of my camping/fishing there (mostly outside of Herkimer on the West Canada Creek). What appeals to me is that once I get outside of Buffalo/Niagara Falls it doesn't take too long before you get to a great many locations like you have pictured. I'm would venture that Western/Upper New York state has to be one of the best kept secrets.

Regards
It is wonderful that even with this built up urban area in western ny that you can drive 15-20 mins out of Buffalo and be totally in the country. There are so many wonderful parks around here with numerous small waterfalls. As cold and miserable as it can get here in the winter, I can say that I always love the way it all changes again to something so beautiful each spring/summer. Thank you for looking at these photos.
Old May 31, 2010, 8:21 AM   #6

Great series, and be careful lending that camera or you'll have to get another one
Old May 31, 2010, 9:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great series, and be careful lending that camera or you'll have to get another one
Thanks Ronny, no worries about losing the camera, my wife has no interest in doing any photography. She just feeds my hobby by coming up with ideas of places to go see. The one I'll have to worry about might be one of my children, thankfully it'll be some time before they start trying to steal my camera.
Old May 31, 2010, 7:13 PM   #8

Some really fine photos of a lovely place - indeed "gorge-ous"!
Of course the family shot is always the best, but I sure do like #1.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 7:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Some really fine photos of a lovely place - indeed "gorge-ous"!
Of course the family shot is always the best, but I sure do like #1.
Thanks mole. Your photos are always an inspiration to me and your kind words are very much appreciated.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:49 PM   #10

Beautiful shots, Mike. beautiful Kids!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote