Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
And it's obvious that butterflies have not forgotten the forget-me-nots.
Here are some Great Spangled Fritillaries, some Little Wood Satyrs, and a Carolina Satyr.
Really cool photos.... especially the first two.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:20 AM   #12

awesome!
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:34 AM   #13

Agree with everyone else, great shots but the first and last are particularly stunning!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:53 AM   #14

Great series Mole, The butterflies and sunset shots are outstanding!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:12 PM   #15

Frogfish - Thanks so much! Those Mourning Cloaks are certainly fascinating!

Rodney - Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it, and nice to see you back at the forums again!

Ronny - It's so much fun to photograph such colorful creatures! Thanks!

Ned - So glad you enjoyed the Fritillaries - such fine colors when they are fresh. (They will be worn and tattered soon enough...)

Bock - Thanks!

Tachikoma - Thanks for saying so!

Lou - So kind of you to say so!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:17 PM   #16

I don't think you know how to take a bad photo Mole.
I like em all.
Number ! is stunning!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:29 PM   #17

More great shots - I agree with GW.

I am especially impressed with the little Skipper shot - I know how tough they are to get (and to ID) and this is better than any I have been able to take (my best of 3 years ago: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ur-garden.html ).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:18 PM   #18

GW - You just haven't seen the 1,000's I've deleted!

Penolta - Thanks! Those are some great skipper photos in your set!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Penolta - Thanks! Those are some great skipper photos in your set!
Thanks.

I was thinking about your rainy day problems when I saw Pentax's new innovative Optio W90, which might be just the thing for you. It is a rugged*, waterproof, shockproof, rubberized outdoor 12MP short zoom p&s - very small and lightweight, and comes with a carabiner to hang from your belt or backpack strap for instant access. It also has astonishing macro capabilities - I queried Pentax about the magnification ratios (unpublished), and Macro mode is 1:3, Supermacro is 1:1 and "Digital Microscope" mode is "far greater than life size!" - and what's more it has LEDs around the lens for closeup illumination! Reviews are mixed, because IQ isn't the greatest (about par for similar p&s), so it won't substitute for your dslr, but its features are unparalled and it will get you shots you would otherwise miss - it was product of the year for one outdoor hikers organization. You could even shoot from behind some of your waterfalls, and it's underwater IQ is better than on dry land, too (think of the underwater dragonfly larval shots you could get) . And it can be gotten for around $270, too.

* One reviewer (on video) smashed it with a hammer, dropped it on the floor from a ladder, and finally succeeded in damaging it with a pair of vicegrips (by cracking the cover of the viewscreen) but it still worked perfectly - now, that's rugged.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 4, 2010 at 2:47 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:06 AM   #20

the beard tongue photo looks like something out of a pixar movie; both the bug and the flower seem to have a personality, and are communicating about something. blah blah blah, your butterflies are gorgeous, but you already knew that. haha. that last nameless yellow on blue butterfly really catches my eye. nice color contrast, but also, i love how in detail the butterfly AND that tiny little blue flower on the bottom right both are. i guess, (in my best critique, saying smart stuff voice...) the limited depth of field really draws your attention to the details of the butterfly, but it allows for the lovely surprise of one tiny detail of the bunch of flowers being crisp as well. what kind of butterfly is that, mr. park ranger? that one doesn't have a caption that tells me!
the flowers by themselves (unvisited by any bugs) are pretty. i feel like that's all i have to say about them. it's like, i almost feel like i've seen them before. that's not necessarily a bad thing, i think it's just something you have to watch out for with flower photographs, because flowers are inherently "ooh, pretty" move on. so, a photograph of them, unless truly spectacular, tends to get the same reaction. although, now that i am thinking about it, maybe that's the reaction you should want to a flower photograph. it's just, the contrast for me between the blackeyed susan photos and the bearded tongue with bug photo is great. in the first, it's a field guide photo. it's pretty, i recognize the flower as what it is, i could look at my flower in my yard and say, yes, that is what it is. the other one has personality somehow. and maybe it's more what is inherent to that particular flower, but i feel like it's maybe something about how you photographed them as well. maybe none of your forum friends will agree with me, but i feel like you always ask for areas to improve, and everyone just says "ooh, pretty." so. that is all. (please don't think i'm being mean. i hope i'm not.)
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote