Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
It was a new one for me, too - I looked it up and found out that it is not a cactus at all, and is even a composite of two plants! It is a Euphorbia, grafted onto another stock (either another Euphorb, or a real cactus). The top plant is rather rare in the wild, and so is propagated artificially by this grafting process Several varieties of different colors have been developed. I posted a similar graft of two cacti a while ago in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...0-flowers.html

Thank you Pen,
Yes, I remember the thread, I was very impressed with the quality of those images and frankly, that's what I was trying for. I'm going to have to do some more practicing to see just what all I did wrong. I know the f:22 didn't help me any but not convinced that was all of it, I think the photographer had a lot to do with it.
but, I keep trying.
Thanks for the follow up info, all I knew was that my daughter n' law told me , it was called a coral cactus. Must be the commercial name they gave it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jun 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Everything has already been said... really amazing, whatever it is.
Thanks Ned.

Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Thank you Pen,
Yes, I remember the thread, I was very impressed with the quality of those images and frankly, that's what I was trying for. I'm going to have to do some more practicing to see just what all I did wrong. I know the f:22 didn't help me any but not convinced that was all of it, I think the photographer had a lot to do with it.
but, I keep trying.
Thanks for the follow up info, all I knew was that my daughter n' law told me , it was called a coral cactus. Must be the commercial name they gave it.
Actually, I see nothing wrong with your images - the subject is a difficult one to photograph due to the color and texture, and you did quite well with it.

And, yes, that seems to be a commercial name - euphorbs have noxious sap, so they wouldn't use the less salable name! No truth in advertising here!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Actually, I see nothing wrong with your images - the subject is a difficult one to photograph due to the color and texture, and you did quite well with it.

And, yes, that seems to be a commercial name - euphorbs have noxious sap, so they wouldn't use the less salable name! No truth in advertising here!
Thank you Pen,
I'm sorry, I didn't mean these, I'm pleased with them. It was the day lilies I was thinking of, when I went back to look at your post, that first one just jumped out at me, so sharp and all. My mind went back to my other post of the lilies and wishing they had turned out as well as yours had.
But, I really appreciate the complement on these, Thank you.