Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:37 AM   #1

Default Trying out my new macro-->Need advice

Hi,

Just recieved a vivitar 90mm 2.8 macro, and am trying out.
(I used some cheap extension tubes, so its like 4:1 I think)
The shot was handheld,
no flash, f-4 i think,
iso 1600

And the subject was a large fly ..no bugs arund

I really want to improve my technique, so I really need all of you macro pros to comment.

Also, I ordered a ring light (led) for this purpose for 50$, but itll take another 10 days to come i think .
Attached Images

Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:47 AM   #2

Best advice would be to put that camera on a tripod. It's hard enough taking a macro with the slightest breezes moving a leaf. But pair that with the slightest shake of the hand and you'll end up with lost sharpness. Great attempt though; I'm surprised how well it turned out handheld, but I feel that a tripod would have given much more sharpness.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:58 AM   #3

How can u place a camera with 10cm of a living object , and with a tripod involved, I think I got myself in too much more than I can handle
Old Jun 6, 2010, 3:20 AM   #4

I don't use a tripod (sometimes it shows) but you really need to use a flashgun, this shot is the best I could manage handheld without a flash and is a focus stack:

Compare that to handheld again but using a flash:

Now I prefer the softer light on the first one, but had to shoot around ISO800, 1/80 and f.4 without the flash. When I used the flash I could shoot ISO200, 1/120 and f.8 and had a much higher keep ratio.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:00 AM   #5

Hi Chesslanka,
You'll find some useful info on this page ...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=807056

Also if you do a search for LordV Macros, you should find some remarkable

shots. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:14 AM   #6

Great shots, and that 90mm looks like it's working great.

Only i have a small doubt about getting a 4:1 with extention tubes.

Suppose you focus at 30mm distance to get 1:1, then you would need 80mm extention tubes to focus at 10mm distance and get an 4:1. What is darn close for a fly.
The only way to really check this is to messure it (with at picture of a ruler or something like that)

I heard speaking about cropping to get an extra magnification but that is to difficult for met to calc.

Any way, like your macro shots.

Ronny
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:24 AM   #7

Hi Chesslanka,

You would be surprised how close some bugs will let you get, slow movements and sometimes you can almost have the lens touching them ! Depends a lot on how jittery the insect is though of course. If you are shooting hand held then the technique to employ is to fire away as you move into focus. That is you rock gently back and forth and when you get into that inch where the subject comes into focus start firing away - often at least 1 of the say 10 shots you took will be sharp.

There are a number of techniques you can employ - including slowing down the subject by spraying it with freezing or very cold water. This is a tip from the Polish guy who shoots the best macro I have ever seen ... Google search for grzehoofr, just unbelievable and he gives a lot of tips too.

If you are going to photo stack then the best way is with rails on a tripod .... and / or a very still subject, flies are actually quite good for that !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great shots, and that 90mm looks like it's working great.

Only i have a small doubt about getting a 4:1 with extention tubes.

Suppose you focus at 30mm distance to get 1:1, then you would need 80mm extention tubes to focus at 10mm distance and get an 4:1. What is darn close for a fly.
The only way to really check this is to messure it (with at picture of a ruler or something like that)

I heard speaking about cropping to get an extra magnification but that is to difficult for met to calc.

Any way, like your macro shots.

Ronny
Yes, Ronny is quite right, I've got the maths formula stored somewhere but with just a 1:1 and extension tubes it is likely you are at maybe 1.5:1 or possibly 2:1 depending on the length of the tubes you are using. You would be surprised at how difficult it is to get to those huge magnifications - just impossible without a good flash rig as there is just not enough light enough on a sunny day.

This is the rig used by the Polish guy I mentioned above (and I think he gets between 3:1 and 4:1 with this set-up :

To get really big closeups I use 2 sets of extension tubes (6 rings - total 130mm long), Tamron 90/2.8, Tokina teleconverter 2x, Raynox DCR-250, external flash Metz 48af with a huge diffuser, attached with a synchro cord to a body.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:50 AM   #9

Thanks for all the useful advice, that tutorial was really great
I think it might be a 2:1
Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:46 AM   #10

Chess, I made a quick and dirty lighting guide if you want to take a look, it's really basic stuff which you almost certainly already know, but might help you avoid some of the pitfalls I found.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote