Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:34 PM   #1

Default Trial Software, what do you think?

My laptop is in the shop getting repaired, so I'm using my hubby's iMac. It only has PSE on it, so I'll use this as a time to play with new plug-ins and software trials. In this case, I've got a 15 day trial for Nik Software's Viveza plug-in. Here's the original picture, converted with ACR's default settings and cropped a bit. As you can see, it has some exposure problems.

I'll post two other versions of the picture in replies - one that I used Viveza for and one that I did using only ACR and PSE. All were resized using the same PSE methods.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:36 PM   #2

Here's the version I came up with using the Nik software.
Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:37 PM   #3

Finally, edited with PSE. I'm not sure how they look color-wise, this computer isn't calibrated.

So what do you think about these? Do you have any preference, things you don't like about the two that I edited?
Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:22 PM   #4

hmmm hard to chose which i liek better - but think i like the last one better - has a nicer tonal range than the second one - though i think the saturation is slightly better in the second one hmmmm very close though

edit:
ah bollocks - i too am on my mac laptop not colour cailibrated and whats worse noticed the tonal range seems dependant on the angle i'm viewing it from so got not idea what the images are actually like
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:23 PM   #5

Oh you are so lucky you now get to use a Mac

There is not much between #2 + #3 however the main difference seems to be in the OOF. The Nik software has consigned the buds to the OOF whilst PSE has actually lightened them and they now seem more in focus. No preference really, I think choosing between #2 & #3 is a personal choice.

You can also try out Aperture 3 now you are on a Mac (I think you can get a 1 month trial).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:37 PM   #6

Second for colour, third for bringing detail back in the shadows. You can probably just up the saturation a touch in PSE to get the same effect and keep the detail though.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 3:39 PM   #7

I really like viveza, especially the easy way it works. I couldn't get my boss to upgrade it to version 2 (64bit) and haven't used it much (ver1) since I switched to a 64bit operating system.

I believe you can do the same thing that viveza does with any other post processing software, it only works easier.

I would get it myself if the price wasn't so much. And upgrading the version from work on my own doesn't compute .
Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:21 PM   #8

Interesting reactions so far.

Ronny - you are right that Viveza is easy to use and the results are rather nice. But it's expensive for what it is, not sure it's worth what they charge for it. It's great fun playing with it.

Ash - I probably could get the saturation up using PSE, I'm not one who usually adds saturation much and hadn't decided if I liked the extra saturation I added with Viveza.

frogfish - I've been using a Mac for almost 2 years. Normally I use a MacBook Pro with a 24" Apple Cinema Monitor and a Spyder monitor calibrator. The choice on the background was more mine - Viveza makes it easier to adjust different parts of a picture in different ways - the background isn't very interesting, just my office building, so I chose to darken and lower the details of the background, while lightening and bringing out the details in the flower.

John - Looking at them here, I should have lightened the flower just a bit more - it looks darker here than it did when I was working on it.

Keep the comments coming - love getting other's reactions to things like this!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:07 PM   #9

Sort of like Goldilocks and the three bears - which bowl of porridge is just right? I like #3 the best, but the highlights on my iMac looked a tad too bright, so I put it into PSE where it looked perfect - the upload to this thread did something, so I tried to compensate by using the highlight/shadow tool to darken the highlights by 25%, which required a further lightening of the shadows by the same amount. On the desktop the psd file looked just right against the image on the thread , but wouldn't upload. Converted to jpg and the upload looks about right on my monitor, although a little darker than I would like. - 25% may have been too much, but I am out of time right now to fiddle further.

Name:  Untitled-1r.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  75.2 KB

Last edited by penolta; Jun 6, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:19 PM   #10

Hey Harriet,
I kept going back and forth between the 3 photos and dragging them form on monitor to the other trying to make up my mind, and couldn't. Then I scrolled down to Penolta's rendition and it looked perfect to me.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote