Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:52 PM   #21

Very nicely done, Glenn! I like it. Where all did you go in Arizona? I love that area - lots to see, more than I've managed the last time we were there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:22 AM   #22

We got to Phoenix, saw the D-backs beat the Yankees!, Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, and Tombstone.
Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:59 AM   #23

Tommorow's July 1. The voting begins on the 2nd. Get your best in!
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:40 PM   #24

Hmmm... I didn't even know Pentax had a 50-200mm in 1881.
Just kidding, cool shot Glen!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jul 3, 2010 at 11:39 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:15 PM   #25

Default Memoriam in situ : Calendonia Road, Toronto, Ontario

When I saw the topic this month, I immediately thought about this location on Caledonia Road in Toronto, Ontario.

A memoriam in situ.

I've seen the lady who places fresh flowers at the site a couple of times, and its a location that has become permanently burned into my mind.

Capture Details:
- Lens: Sigma 18-200 f3.5-6.3 (at 18mm) w. circular polarizer to block more light to slow shutter speed.
- Camera: Pentax K100D
- Camera set to manual exposure, iso200, f22, 1/15 second (a little underexposed to get light rays.)
- White Balance set to Flash to try to warm up the light (but ended up changing this in PP)
- Broke the rule of thirds to emphasize main subject
- Shooting perpendicular to road allowed maximum motion blur of truck
- Aimed slightly towards sun to get sun flair (Oh, yeah. Don't look at the sun through your camera. You might ruin your eyes!)
- Since I was shooting into the light and the truck was blocking the light to the memoriam, I used my external flash (Pentax AF540FGZ) mounted on the hot shoe.
- Flash set to A(uto) mode to have some control over it. Manually zoomed to the narrowest setting to concentrate light only on flowers. f22. iso purposely set to iso100 to get more light on the flowers.

PP Details:
- When I converted the RAW to JPG, I manually set the Kelvin temperature to something really high to try to warm up the light.
- Then in PS, I put a strong S curve to increase contrast. (Shooting into the light reduced contrast a lot.)
- Put the image through a Lomo script that is supposed to 1) Darken the edges, so in this case, the memoriam is highlighted even more, and 2) simulate cross processing to skew the colours and increase contrast.
- Finally I put a small touch of unsharp mask to try to make the flowers stand out more.
Attached Images

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Jul 2, 2010 at 6:56 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:43 PM   #26

A very different take on a sad subject, I really like it. It tells such a story, definitely an emotional picture. I wouldn't have thought of shooting it this way but it is very, very effective. Thanks for posting it, it gives me something to think about.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
A very different take on a sad subject, I really like it. It tells such a story, definitely an emotional picture. I wouldn't have thought of shooting it this way but it is very, very effective. Thanks for posting it, it gives me something to think about.
Thanks Mtngal!

Because this location means so much to this lady, I really put a lot of effort into trying to capture it. I also tried to capture the feel of the environment.

It is a very busy and congested place. With houses and apartment buildings nestled in and around large industrial plants. This road is never quiet. It is always busy. And you are just as likely to see a parade of tractor trailers driving down the road as you are a parade of young children marching off to school. The location is a juxtaposition on different levels.

Take care,
Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Jul 1, 2010 at 7:43 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:50 PM   #28

Shall we start the voting or do you all want more time?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:00 AM   #29

Let the voting begin! It came down to the two Glen(n)s for me. They both strike a chord in my emotions (how I tend to judge pictures). Glen's picture really tells the story of a dangerous location and a sad conclusion. Glenn's picture could have been taken just about anytime in the last 100 years and I love southern Arizona. It brings back happy memories.

Happy or gritty? What people would normally consider a good picture or one that has what some would say has numerous faults (i.e., blown out parts, flare, strange lighting etc.)? I'll go for grit tonight, Glen (tacticdesigns) gets my vote.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:45 AM   #30

My vote is for pboergers angel card reader. It would be nice to see it in it's true sharp version, how do you make your downsizing for posting?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote