Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:23 PM   #21

Good evening,
as we were talking about details - working from your image #1 I came up with this one. The comparison image shows the differences more clearly with a part of your original photo in the middle. Another good way is to copy original and this version into one image as layers and switch one layer on and off...

Result: do not worry about missing detail in your resized image, there is PLENTY . Based on that I still think a somewhat softer resize (as in your photo #1) and a tad of final sharpening/detail works and you are ready to go. What do you think?

Is this (and what Harriet did) roughly what you were asking for - kind of a bit more "clear" look? Sorry... but I have a talent to misunderstand things, better ask now than going in the wrong direction.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:30 PM   #22

Both programs are for sale, not freeware. Both offer short-term trials. I own Topaz Lab's Detail while I'm using a 15 day trial version of Nik Software's Vivenza. Nik software's website is www.niksoftware.com . It's a lot more expensive than Topaz Lab's software, enough so that while I'm really enjoying playing with it, I'm not sure I like it enough to pay what they want for it, even with a discount. There are a number of sites that give you codes for dicounts (15% seems to be what they'll offer), a google search brings up a bunch of them.

Topaz Lab has a similar set-up but their software is about a third of the price of Nik's. Their website is www.topazlabs.com . Both provide plug-ins rather than stand-alone software, so they require PSE or Photoshop to work. Both will work with Lightroom and Aperture, I believe. Topaz Labs requires you to have a separate program to use their products as Lightroom plug-ins, but that is a free one.

I also own Topaz Lab's Denoise. It's very nice noise reduction software, just not the fastest one out there. I'd rather go get a soda and let the computer do it's thing than to get instant results that I don't like.

Both have tutorials and videos etc. for learning how to use their plug-ins. I'd recommend reading/watching them as I wouldn't have had a clue how to use Viveza without it. It's actually quite easy and very cool fun but I would never have figured it out properly on my own. Detail has a number of pre-sets but I never use them as most are too over-the-top for me. But it's an easy program to figure out on your own and I've developed my own pre-set that works well as a starting point.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkn777 View Post
Good evening,
as we were talking about details - working from your image #1 I came up with this one. The comparison image shows the differences more clearly with a part of your original photo in the middle. Another good way is to copy original and this version into one image as layers and switch one layer on and off...

Result: do not worry about missing detail in your resized image, there is PLENTY . Based on that I still think a somewhat softer resize (as in your photo #1) and a tad of final sharpening/detail works and you are ready to go. What do you think?

Is this (and what Harriet did) roughly what you were asking for - kind of a bit more "clear" look? Sorry... but I have a talent to misunderstand things, better ask now than going in the wrong direction.

Regards,
Th.

Th!

I just sent you the RAW photo... Thanks for what you did above. I will await to see what you do with the RAW photo. If you could remember to tell me what settings, etc. you did to achieve your final processing of the photo, it would be deeply appreciated.

Many kind thanks, indeed.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Both programs are for sale, not freeware. Both offer short-term trials. I own Topaz Lab's Detail while I'm using a 15 day trial version of Nik Software's Vivenza. Nik software's website is www.niksoftware.com . It's a lot more expensive than Topaz Lab's software, enough so that while I'm really enjoying playing with it, I'm not sure I like it enough to pay what they want for it, even with a discount. There are a number of sites that give you codes for dicounts (15% seems to be what they'll offer), a google search brings up a bunch of them.

Topaz Lab has a similar set-up but their software is about a third of the price of Nik's. Their website is www.topazlabs.com . Both provide plug-ins rather than stand-alone software, so they require PSE or Photoshop to work. Both will work with Lightroom and Aperture, I believe. Topaz Labs requires you to have a separate program to use their products as Lightroom plug-ins, but that is a free one.

I also own Topaz Lab's Denoise. It's very nice noise reduction software, just not the fastest one out there. I'd rather go get a soda and let the computer do it's thing than to get instant results that I don't like.

Both have tutorials and videos etc. for learning how to use their plug-ins. I'd recommend reading/watching them as I wouldn't have had a clue how to use Viveza without it. It's actually quite easy and very cool fun but I would never have figured it out properly on my own. Detail has a number of pre-sets but I never use them as most are too over-the-top for me. But it's an easy program to figure out on your own and I've developed my own pre-set that works well as a starting point.
I hear ya about the "instant results". I believe that anything you do and set your mind to requires skill, lots of hard work, and good tools.

Thanks for the information you have provided above, and for your help which is always appreciated.

Ned
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:05 PM   #25

Good evening,
using the RAW file I came up with this version. I focussed on the resize/detail works and adjusted everything else according to personal taste . I am not the one for the most colorful/maximum saturation images, so this might look a bit dull compared to the "fairy tale" images (no offense meant - it's just a completely different look) with that dreamy feeling in it. (I might post some images from a recent short trip where I got so very strong colors, I couldn't believe my eyes... look at them and then laugh about what I said in the sentence above )

As you can see you *might* gain some details, but you also loose the dreamy atmosphere... no pain no gain to say so. As you wrote, that the image was taken around 10pm I applied a warm filter in the end. The strong and fresh green looks more like late morning . Again - personal taste. I understand your desire to get the most out of an image (technically speaking), but in many cases this is either not necessary or not the "best" solution (if such a thing exists). Try to look at it from another point of view: you want to show something to the observer. What is it? The details? The color? The special atmosphere? Don't try to get EVERYTHING... it won't work.

Anyway... no magic used here. PSE7 as RAW converter, tried to develop for a "full" histogram mainly. Then some basic contrast and histogram works, nothing fancy. Removed color noise and de-noised mildly because I wanted to try a de-blur. As this didn't work out to my liking (too strong halo effect) I went for local contrast enhancement instead. Retinex filter applied in GIMP and added via layer to the image. Raised saturation a tad and applied the warm filter. Mild Gauss sharpening BEFORE resizing with bicubic softer method. Here we go.

Kind regards,
Th.

P.S. Full sized image will be sent via e-mail.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:41 PM   #26

Wow, many, many thanks as I wrote in my e-mail to you. You really took a lot of time and effort to help. I know I took the photo in a hurry and had two settings that would have been better not to use, or at least to take another without them... but you got the colours right and the detail is fanstastic. Thanks so much.

Ned