Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1

Default Arkansas Strobist Meet

I've been focusing the last few weeks on improving my skills with flash by participating in a group of Arkansas Strobists, dedicated to improving off-camera lighting techniques.

Sunday I had the opportunity to join the group for a meet and shoot at the studios of the Photographic Society of Northwest Arkansas (thanks to any PSNWA folks that might be here....great facility). I quickly realized how little I knew about studio lighting working with this young lady in studio.

I got outside as quickly as I could find a model and headed for a nearby outdoor museum celebrating Ozark culture. I basically used two lights for the following shots....a Pentax AF540FGZ as the key light, usually fired from the left in these shots and a cheap Bower slave flash, both set to fire off a set of wireless E-bay triggers. The Pentax flash was through an umbrella. On the first shot, I also used a peach colored gel on my second Bower slave as a hair light.

I began to have real problems with wind on the umbrellas and moved to using the Pentax flash with the O-Ring flash diffuser mounted on the camera with only one additional light....a Bower slave used for fill or hair light.

All in all, a fantastic day.... worth driving 200 miles through the mountains each way. Great experience to be able to get with a talented group of photographers (I held the lonely Pentax banner high, lol) and a group of enthusiastic young models.

BTW.... all photos taken with the K-7, and I'm pretty sure all of these were taken with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8....It's what I used for 90% of my shots for the day.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:10 AM   #2

These look really nice to me. I like the ones with the hair light, especially the second one. Also the 4th one. You already know a lot more about flash lighting than I do, and your pictures really show it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:22 AM   #3

Thanks, Harriet. I've told Brenda that one of the great things about photography is that it keeps me humble. Going into the studio Sunday was truly one of those experiences. I found myself standing there with a camera facing a 16-year-old kind enough to trust me for "her first modeling photos," and I didn't have the slightest idea of how to set the lights. Fortunately, there were more experienced photographers present who saw my dilemma and stepped forward with several pieces of "If it were me........ " advice. (Thanks, Max.....I really appreciate it.)

I really enjoy playing with the ways light can change the mood of a photo. This one is a variation off the set used in #4, but I shot face-on, and added an additional light with a blue gel, hidden behind the model, shooting onto the background.

Always a lot of fun to learn.

Paul
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:01 AM   #4

Absolutely brilliant shots Paul!

The second one is just incredible, you are really making me want to find a similar class and do something like this myself.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:21 AM   #5

second that, they are brilliant.

Normally I've got distinct favorites, now only one not so great (nr6).
Wish I could match your skills.

Ronny
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:39 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice Paul...you seem to have got the hang of pro-level lighting! #2 in the first series and the very last one (second posting) are my favorite.The skin tones in that last image look very natural... What WB balance setting were you using?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. Ronny, I tend to agree with you on #6. Of the set it is clearly my least favorite.

Jehan, I was shooting on the flash WB setting in RAW. I then corrected in Lightroom as needed.

Tachikoma, this group is not a class, but just a group of photographers who enjoy working with light. The group has a Flickr page to post and discuss photos, not unlike this page, but because we're all in a relatively small area, it is feasible to meet a couple of times a year. I had to drive four hours each way to get to the meet Sunday, but I consider it more than worth the time.

Paul

Paul
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:54 AM   #8

Ah I see, give us a link to the Flickr group, would like to see some more of what people were doing!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Ah I see, give us a link to the Flickr group, would like to see some more of what people were doing!
Be happy to....

http://www.flickr.com/groups/arkansasstrobist/

You'll see many of the same models, both indoor and out.

Paul
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:25 PM   #10

Sounds like you had a great time, Paul.
I'd love to do something like that. You did an excellent job!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote