Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:01 PM   #11

You lost some details with the noise reduction, the image is pretty clean as it at 1600iso.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:21 PM   #12

Typical of noise reduction software (the loss of detail). ISO 1600 is really impressive - you could easily use those without using quite so much reduction. Really impressive!

Biggest thing is to have fun with the fashion shoot and look at it as a learning experience. Look back at some of Daniel's shots and see what he did. While you won't be able to use f2.8 and 200 mm, you can still figure out some of his techniques.

As far as white balance - you can correct it up to a point in LR. More if you are shooting raw, but it's just easier and one less thing to do if you get it close in camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:29 PM   #13

If you need, the k-x does a pretty good job at 3200iso, if you need to get your shutter speed up.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Biggest thing is to have fun with the fashion shoot and look at it as a learning experience. Look back at some of Daniel's shots and see what he did. While you won't be able to use f2.8 and 200 mm, you can still figure out some of his techniques.
Thanks, where can I see these photos?
ratinakage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 3:44 AM   #15

You can check out some of his shots in the pentax/samsung dslr forum, here is just one example

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...o-may-8-a.html

You might also find this link useful
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...ion-shows.html
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:37 PM   #16

Personally, seeing as you have only had your first DSLR for a week, I would avoid using M = Manual Focus, it is impossible to learn enough MF in a week to be able to participate in a model shoot. I'm not sure what settings the Kx has but Paul (Trojansoc) gave you some great advice in setting the ISO and WB then letting the camera figure out the rest. I would think 800 would be fine as I use that regularly on the K7 and the Kx has better low light performance. 1600 may be stretching it too far but bif you can't get the speed up then better 1600 than no shots at all or all out of focus !

BTW - if you are allowed to shoot too (highly doubtful if it's a pro shoot, but you can still learn a helluva lot just by watching and asking questions when possible) then one battery is not going to be enough, especially if you are using the on-board flash ! If you can't get another battery before then - take your charger, you may be able to plug in somewhere for an hour, enough to get you through to the finish perhaps.

Last edited by Frogfish; Jun 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:49 PM   #17

I'm going to jump back in again. I think there is great, well intentioned advice here but it still comes down to: this isn't your friends or kids you're taking photos of. This is professional models at a professional shoot. It's not runway work it's studio style work. I would be amazed if the photographer let you shoot - if nothing else, it's a distraction to the models - they need to pay attention to the photographer, not you.

Also, assuming you were trying to shoot without flash (can't imagine a photog ever allowing you to use flash at his/her setup) your exposures will get messed up when the official flash/strobes fire.

So, I suggest you plan on this being a learning experience. Concentrate on absorbing what the photographer does with the environment - the light sources used and the direction, the umbrellas/softboxes/snoots whatever. Watch how he/she interacts with the models and how they're positioned, directed, etc.

Play with your camera without the pro models and such. But take advantage of the opportunity to see how everything BUT the camera is done. That's something you can't learn as well on your own.

Also frogfish - I'm going to suggest that when people suggest shooting in M, 90% of the time they're referring to a manual exposure not manual focus.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:06 PM   #18

*slaps head* Of course - you are probably right John !

*takes Size 10/11/45 out of mouth*
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:05 AM   #19

Hehe. I think you guys are probably right about the fashion shoot. Most likely I'll just be watching more than doing. I will definitely report back and let you know how it goes down.

In the mean time, I have a press pass to take photos at another event here in Cape Town next week around the world cup. Will be shooting some photos of Arch Bishop Tutu and some kids at the CTICC!! This time I'm not just going to be a tag alonger... I'd love any suggestions you have for this too. And again, I'll definitely post up the photos after (even if they are not too great...)

Anyway, like Paul said, I'm keeping my ears open for any and every opportunity to learn and be involved.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:09 AM   #20

I've been shooting so far in AV with auto-focus. I've mainly been changing my ISO and my f stops (aperture). From what I learned on the weekend, shooting someone on a low aperture is good with portraits as it allows the subject to be clear and the background to be a little blurry...