Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:51 AM   #1

Default Pentax K-x fashion shoot. Any advice?

Hey all,

I'm super newbie! Just got my first DSLR a Pentax K-x last week. Loving it so far!! Have taken like a zillion pictures...

I really like the idea of learning about fashion and people photography. So, when I heard that my friend was having a shoot of her new line of clothing next week, I asked nicely if I can come along and take some pics witness the shoot.

I'm not sure how much luck I will have with my Pentax K-x and 18 - 55 kit lense. But I can't really afford to shell out for a new portrait lense at this stage. (That being said, I could always go to the photography rental shop and rent a lense or something for the day if you guys think that might help...)

Please let me know if you have any advice on how to get good portrait and fashion shots with my k-x. Settings, angles, equipment etc... Would love to hear your advice.

Thanks!!
ratinakage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinakage View Post
Hey all,

I'm super newbie! Just got my first DSLR a Pentax K-x last week. Loving it so far!! Have taken like a zillion pictures...

I really like the idea of learning about fashion and people photography. So, when I heard that my friend was having a shoot of her new line of clothing next week, I asked nicely if I can come along and take some pics witness the shoot.

I

Congratulations on selecting yourself for one of the most exclusive fraternities, and one of the friendliest, by becoming a Pentaxian. We're happy to have you here and would encourage you to share some of your photos with us and ask, ask, and ask even more questions as you run into them. Most of us found our way into the DSLR world via Pentax and have been down the learning path on which you now find yourself.

Daniel Chong is our resident fashion expert on the forum, so he may have some advice that is very specific to the fashion world. My comments are more general.

First, give yourself a pat on the back on recognizing a learning opportunity and getting yourself invited to take advantage of it. I'm assuming you are "tagging along" and are not the principal, or only, photographer on the shoot. If I am correct, the best opportunity to learn will be to watch the other photographers at the shoot. Ask questions, but don't be offended if they are too absorbed in their work at that time to answer.

You will struggle shooting indoors with the kit lens, although the K-x's low-light performance is supposed to be outstanding. Assuming you have runway access, I would probably shoot with the on-board flash, set WB to "Flash," ISO to about 400, then use Program mode, and let the camera do the rest..... at least till you get more familiar with the camera and its settings.

Most of all, though, take LOTS of pictures, then critique them afterwards. and.........have fun!

Welcome...and we look forward to seeing your work.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:53 AM   #3

Thanks Paul!

Hopefully Daniel Chong sees this thread...

Yeh, I'm tagging along... Assuming I'm going to see some professional equipment and lights and all that...

What do you mean by setting WB to Flash? I do know how to set the ISO settings and f settings.

By the way, here are some of the photographs already in the catalogue. I don't think its a runway photoshoot. More like posing and stuff.

I guess I'll just hang around and try learn as much as possible. Hopefully get some good pics of my own to post up here late next week.

Lemme know what other advice you guys have.

Thanks!!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4

I'm going to request that you remove the photos - as a general rule, it's taboo to post photos that you don't have the copyright to. If they are hosted somewhere else, post a link to them.

Now - on to your question - if it's posed shots that usually means a strobe setup and it's going to be highly likely the paid photog doesn't want you snapping away while he/she is trying to work. That's completely different than a show where multiple photogs are shooting. So, my advice is to contact the official photog and work with him/her - NOT just the customer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Administrator

ratinakage:

I've removed the images you attached to your post. As JohnG already pointed out, images are copyrighted.

So, we ask that you do not post images here that you did not take yourself.

Thanks
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:38 PM   #6

As far as advice, I'd definitely check out the flash issue before assuming that you can use it. You'll need to be as close as you can get - Daniel often shoots with a 200 mm lens. Think about doing a custom white balance if you can't use flash - the lighting might be flattering to the models and the clothes but the camera might see it strangely. Make sure you know how to set one as well as going back to something else if it doesn't help. Since you are out there for experience, review your shots fairly often to see what affect any changes you make have, and to see if you need to make changes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I'm going to request that you remove the photos - as a general rule, it's taboo to post photos that you don't have the copyright to. If they are hosted somewhere else, post a link to them.

Now - on to your question - if it's posed shots that usually means a strobe setup and it's going to be highly likely the paid photog doesn't want you snapping away while he/she is trying to work. That's completely different than a show where multiple photogs are shooting. So, my advice is to contact the official photog and work with him/her - NOT just the customer.
Thanks.

Yeh sorry for posting the pics directly. Will post a link to the site when all the photos are up... I'm the webmaster.

I will also take your advice and chat to the photographer in advance and see what I can and can't do.... Happy to just watch if that's all that I'm allowed to.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
As far as advice, I'd definitely check out the flash issue before assuming that you can use it. You'll need to be as close as you can get - Daniel often shoots with a 200 mm lens. Think about doing a custom white balance if you can't use flash - the lighting might be flattering to the models and the clothes but the camera might see it strangely. Make sure you know how to set one as well as going back to something else if it doesn't help. Since you are out there for experience, review your shots fairly often to see what affect any changes you make have, and to see if you need to make changes.
Thanks... that sounds like good advice.

I will read up on white balance. Is that not something you can also fix later in lightroom?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:31 PM   #9

I think personally shooting at iso 1600 is ok, as you will need to keep shutter speeds high. My iso 1600 shots can give a good 8x10 without post processing.
And if youre not using flash, get close to the models as much as you can
Take multiple shots of every aspect (change settings to hi, continuous in k-x)
Also try to fiddle a little using M mode, changing iso,shutter speed and apeture to get the correct blend. (or use AV mode).
Im not a fashion photographer, bt these are my 2 cents
You should have good photos with the k-x.
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:47 PM   #10

Some shots to show at 1600

1st is uncropped
2nd is cropped to show section at original size
3rd is filtered of crop section by Neat image
taken at 1600, 1/500
Attached Images

Last edited by Chesslanka; Jun 8, 2010 at 8:56 PM.
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote