Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:31 PM   #11

All I can say is wow. Those orchids are something to behold.
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:10 PM   #12

Congratulations on finding and confirming the existence there of that orchid, and photographing it so well. I would caution you, however, about being too specific about the location of such a rare plant. I remember from my earlier days in Florida how unscrupulous collectors stripped the Cypress runs in the Big Cypress Swamp and nearby Everglades of their once abundant native orchids.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:13 PM   #13

Gorgeous series again Mole !

I am so jealous of the variety of dragons/damsels/butterflies and flowers you have there !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:43 AM   #14

Ya know Mole, I get so jealous when I see your photos! Not an angry jealous but a good for you jealous!! These shots are SO awsome!................
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:06 PM   #15

Bluenose - Thanks so much for your kind words. I have heard that your part of the world is an excellent place for unusual wild orchids. Hope to see them sometime (either "in person" or from your photos!)

Lisa - Glad you enjoyed these - I certainly enjoyed the hike, and sharing some of the "fruits" of this hike. This particular species of Purple Fringed Orchid (there are 2 species) has flowers about 1 inch across. Equipment used: Camera - Pentax K-M (same as K-2000). Lenses: Scenes/landscapes taken with Pentax DA 16-45, Flowers taken with Sigma 105 Macro, Dragonflies taken with Sigma 70-300 APO semi-macro.
Would love to see some of your flower & insect photos!

GW - Thanks so much - glad you liked them. That last shot was sunrise here in the "home" park, right behind one of the campgrounds.

Jim - They certainly are amazing plants. Hoping to get back up there soon and locate some more of these, and perhaps some other species...

Penolta - Thanks for the warning. I have changed the information and photo names in that post, to make it less obvious where these were. It is a very remote area, but still not worth taking any chances. Thanks again!

Frogfish - We are indeed blessed in East Tennessee with incredible natural diversity. Hope you can come visit sometime!

Bock - You are too kind - thanks so much!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:06 AM   #16

Yes, great series, Mole, indeed. A lot of impressive shots you have there. Thanks for sharing them.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:28 AM   #17

orchids are such weird little plants. are they related to anything normal looking? because that would be funny. i love that first dragon fly! the red is so pretty with that green background. although, i did like that one young as well, so either way it is pretty. do you know why they take their time changing color? is it a protective thing? or a attracting a mate thing? i love the indian cucumber root. it looks so mysterious coming down into this dark space. and, it is even pretty in its own weird little way.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:31 AM   #18

ps. the sunset on the beach photo... i have so many photos of sunsets there! i think that may be the most photogenic spot for sunsets, because of that curve in the mountain and the reflection in the lake, as well as the beach being there for framing. so, nice photo! : )
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:23 PM   #19

Mole great series as ever, really really like the tiny hoverfly, the others I realy like.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:22 PM   #20

Ned - Thanks so much - glad you enjoyed these. I have certainly been enjoying seeing your great landscapes!

Vole - Orchids are a large group of flowering plants in the Monocot section (that also includes things like Lilies and Grasses). They are indeed amazing and wierd in their designs for survival & pollination - like the Cranefly Orchid that "fools" craneflies into trying to mate with the flower! Probably the wild orchid you would know best is Lady's Slipper.
Glad you liked both the recently-emerged as well as the fully-developed Meadowhawk. I think the color change has more to do with mating than protection, but possibly some of both... Cucumber root is a bizarre flower, isn't it? In the lily family. Oh, and glad the sunrise shot brought back good memories for you!

Ronny - Thanks so much!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote