Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:39 AM   #1

Default Seeing a Finnish forest through the trees

Hi all! This is along the path from the dock to my home (5 minute walk). This photo might seem dark, but I did try to make it as accurate as possible... it is just a jok'n thick patch of woods.

Actually, my main reason for posting this photo is that I am asking for help. I look at the Raw, and I have tried 20 different ways to make this photo presentable, but have failed... Frankly, the quality of this photo seen here, looks horrible compared to the original raw. Can anyone help me? I would be glad to send you the RAW photo... but what I am dying to know is what exact steps (numbers, data of tweaks) you use.. for example, if you use the unsharpen mask, could you tell me what numbers you used. I am sort of at wits with this photo, but I NEED YOUR HELP since I am surrounded by thick forest, beautiful lakes... I DON'T want to upload pictures that are just a bummer to look at... Perhaps my plea for help can turn out to be group project the benefitis all of us Pentaxians in the forum. Thank you so much.

Ned
Attached Images

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2

A 2 minute treatment. If you like I'll explain.
Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:21 PM   #3

Yes, Ed, please explain... desperate to learn

All the best.

Ned
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:50 PM   #4

I have very similar in my area. Yes bigdawg, please explain. Nicely done.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:38 AM   #5

Too, right, pboerger... I remember driving through the Mt. Shasta area... just last week when I was deep, deep in the woods, it was so thick that it was dark, but beautiful. I just want learn so I don't post drab photos.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:23 AM   #6

Sign me up for a class as well please!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:51 AM   #7

How is this? ... I have tried to work with this picture in a different way. I afraid to sharpen it, but it looks like it needs... yikes. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Eetu; Jun 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:17 PM   #8

Wanted to join the fun but ... getting a shot better from a raw picture when you put a small jpg here is cutting all the possibilities of the raw format.

So I just played with it, but this has nothing to do with enhancing the raw image, wanted to go in another direction as those above.

First added the rays
make an extra layer, turn the exposure down so it is almost black and only the light remains, then on this layer add a radial blur, (repeat this a few times), turn the exposure up and set the blend mode to screen.
Then added a bit orton effect (only on the top)
duplicate the image layer, turn the exposure up to double light (2), duplicate this layer, put a gaussian blur (5px) on it, change the blend mode to multiply. Merge the two layers and add a gradiant mask.
Took me more time to type this down than do it.

Cheers

Ronny
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:50 PM   #9

Default What is wrong?

Simply my conjecture, but there are just too many trees. Given certain color shadings effected by natural sources, the display could be nice, but it is still just a bunch of trees. Doesn't excite me. Show something seldom seen and you will have a winner.
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:19 AM   #10

Hello Old Engineer. Thank you for expressing your thoughts. Whilst I do realize that "bunch of trees" will not "excite" everyone, the fact is, this is what Finland has, lots of forest and way over 10,000 lakes, and it is these things that have shaped Finland to be what it is. I think I did mention that the this photo presents two things, (at least, that is what I meant to convey) that there is a beauty, a real and stricking beauty when you see beautiful white birch trees, with the sun glistening and shining through the leaves. How does one record on camera the display of lights when the sun shines through thick forest? Secondly, I am new to DSLR (been using film all my life) and so I am sort of jumping in and just trying to have fun, but one thing for sure is, such forest scenes present a real challenge when it comes to Dynamic Range. I have been struggling with a lousy kit lens, and so the photos have not been what I want them to be... also, while learning to get my head around resizing photos, and seeing quality sort of go out the window, some kind folks in the forum has shown me what I can do... I think you can see the difference from my first shot at the top of this thread to my last one... and hopefully it will get even better as my post-processing skills improve. I realise that this all might seem like a lot of trees, perhaps underintersting, but if only I had the skills to relate the beauty and play of sunlight through a thick forest. I doubt if I can show something seldom seen, but I will try harder to look and compose the photos, the lighting, etc., and show the beauty of what simply is Finland. Many thanks for your words and all the best. Ned